SUMMARY: The Network Administrator is responsible for maintaining reliable, secure and efficient data communications networks to enable the success of the WRLC partner universities. The Network Administrator is part of an integrated development and operations team that is responsible for designing and developing scalable, maintainable and highly available infrastructure that meets service level objectives and partner universities’ business objectives. This position reports to the Director of Information Technology.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Fully support WRLC communications infrastructure by identifying network requirements, installing upgrades, and monitoring network performance, utilization and availability. Implement, maintain and integrate enterprise WAN, LAN, VPN and SAN architecture. Respond to network service degradation and interruption to resolve technical and usage issues and restore service performance and availability.
- Implement and administer perimeter security systems such as firewalls and intrusion detection systems. Monitor computer networks for security threats and unauthorized access. Analyze security risks and develop response procedures.
- Working within the DevOps team, integrate and automate LAN and WAN, cloud-based and on-premises virtual networking services. Assist the team in the support and enhancement of data center, Active Directory and VMware infrastructures.
- Support and backup WRLC Service Desk Tier I support, ensuring tickets are assigned and responded to according to service level requirements. Provide Tier II support for network and cybersecurity issues. Contribute to issue and problem root cause analysis and remediation planning as part of the Service Desk support team.
- Collaborate with stakeholders at HQ and throughout WRLC to understand business needs and align networking plans and strategy with those needs. Assist system and software engineers in service deployment and incident management. Serve as backup to other positions as necessary and perform other duties as assigned. Seek new knowledge and update skills to enhance performance in all areas of responsibility.
- College degree in an information technology field and minimum two years’ experience supporting high-speed WAN and LAN infrastructure (additional experience or certifications may be substituted for the IT degree).
- An understanding of all elements of networking, including routing, cybersecurity, performance monitoring/tuning, topology & design, high availability, and capacity planning.
- Familiarity with one or more major brands (Juniper, Cisco, Palo Alto, etc.) of networking and internetworking equipment, including installation, configuration, and troubleshooting.
- Ability and desire to learn new network, cybersecurity and virtualization technologies independently and proactively.
- Customer-centered orientation and a passion for providing a secure, reliable and highly available network.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, communicate effectively, and successfully manage multiple projects and priorities.
- Professional training and/or certification in Juniper (Junos) networking and security operations.
- Experience managing virtual networking and storage-area networking in a VMware environment.
- Experience integrating data center operations with cloud computing platforms such as Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Windows local-area networking services such as DNS, DHCP, NPS and RADIUS.
- Experience with data center operations, including UPS, PDU, environmental controls, racking systems, and cabling.
The Washington Research Library Consortium (WRLC), established as a non-profit corporation in 1987, supports and enhances library and information services for nine universities in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. The WRLC enables the success of learning and scholarship by creating coordinated collections, creating a robust infrastructure for discovery and access, ensuring the long-term preservation of physical and digital information resources and sharing expertise.
The WRLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. The WRLC offers a competitive benefits package. Visit https://www.wrlc.org/benefits for additional benefit details.
Applicants must send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references to email@example.com. Visit https://www.wrlc.org/employment for positions available and employment information. An offer of employment is contingent on a satisfactory pre-employment background screening.