Physician Assistant (GI/Hepatology)
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- English Proficiency: In accordance with 38 U.S.C. 7402(d), Physician Assistants in direct patient-care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English.
- Basic Training Education: Graduate of a PA training program, or of a surgical assistant program accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor organizations. (PROOF OF GRADUATION REQUIRED WITH YOUR APPLICATION)
- Basic Education: Bachelor's degree from an accredited PA training program or in another health sciences related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. (COPY OF TRANSCRIPT SHOWING DEGREE CONFERRED REQUIRED WITH YOUR APPLICATION)
- Certification: Current and continuous certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA). (PROOF OF CURRENT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED WITH YOUR APPLICATION)
Grade Determinations: (Chief Grade) -
To be eligible for the GS-13, Chief level, In addition to meeting the basic requirements as listed above, applicants must also meet the Chief Grade Level Education and/or Experience as listed below. Further, the PA candidate for Chief Grade will have demonstrated all the requirements of one or more of the following categories: Management/Administrative, Clinical Proficiency, Professional Development and Research.
Education or Experience:
- You must possess 5 years of professional practice as a PA; and a Master's Degree from a PA training program accredited by ARC-PA or in a health-related field of study. ~OR~ Experience as a PA may be substituted for the Master's degree where the individual has an equivalent knowledge of the profession and has successfully undertaken a combination of difficult or complex assignments in several clinical, administrative, research and educational arenas which required a high degree of competence.
- Accepts substantial and continuing responsibility for managing or coordinating a healthcare program including follow-up actions to ensure compliance with regulatory bodies required by internal and external review organizations and accrediting bodies, and;
- Successfully integrates the activities of the employee's assignment with other patient care programs at the facility or with similar programs on a broader geographic basis, and;
- Develops policies and procedures and participates in executive level decision making deliberations, and;
- Participates in long range program planning and model development for effective delivery of services, and;
- Performs a full range of administrative duties relative to the assignment.
- Evaluates facility patient care delivery systems and validates or identifies barriers to safe, effective care. Presents findings and recommendations to appropriate management officials and participates in implementation of changes, and;
- Exhibits leadership in initiating changes in patient care programs based on current concepts and findings from research and/or studies, and;
- Facilitates the delivery of patient care in collaboration with health professionals, health managers and other health care personnel, and;
- Exhibits exceptional clinical skills and consistently demonstrates a high level of expertise in diagnosing and treating seriously ill, multi-symptomatic patients.
- Develops and implements education and training programs involving a variety of specialties in widely diversified activities, and;
- Provides personnel with the vital link between education and practice.
- Coordinates clinical training of healthcare students including facilitation of clinical rotations
- Maintains close relationships with affiliated schools and healthcare training programs and coordinates clinical rotations with curriculum needs, and;
- Serves on education and training committees, advisory groups and special task forces concerned with managing education and career development activities.
- Participates in the education of facility staff in ethical concepts and encourages staff participation in ethics educational programs.
- Demonstrates leadership in developing productive working relationships with groups in other programs, services, academic settings, and community agencies.
- Effectively collaborates and interacts with other regional medical facilities to enhance seamless coordination of inter-facility patient care.
- Conducts approved, merit-reviewed research projects; performs independent research; serves as a contributing member of a research team or serves as a member of a research committee; formulates research proposals and protocol submissions for merit review; and develops publishable material for appropriate professional journals or speaks to peer groups, and;
- Effectively researches problems of major scope; directs independent research of considerable interest and value, where the research contribution is highly productive and of such quality and originality as to have marked the PA as a significant contributor to advances in patient care and services.
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-13.
Physical Requirements: This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position may require potentially extended periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, sitting, bending, pulling, lifting and pushing. Setting up or transferring equipment, supplies and objects may be required. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may require protective clothing in isolation primarily if in direct areas.
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: Applicant's education and experience will be reviewed by a Professional Standards Board and utilized in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.