Library Specialist III
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Expected starting salary $47,000.00
Web Announcement :
Library Manager, Arlington Campus Library
The George Mason University, University Libraries is looking for an enthusiastic and energetic individual for the position of Manager, Arlington Campus Library. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: Reporting to the Head of the Social Sciences team and Arlington Campus Library, this position is responsible for:
- Coordinating and managing all Access Services in the Arlington Campus Library, including circulation, stacks, serials, document delivery, course reserves and basic public computing;
- Supervising and evaluating Access Services classified and student hourly wage staff;
- Collaborating with other Access Services personnel at other University Libraries sites to ensure consistency in the implementation of circulation and access services policies;
- Serving as a primary contact for the library regarding Facilities, Campus Police and Campus Administration in carrying out daily business operations;
- Overseeing the day-to-day operations (i.e., general administrative activities, facilities issues, public computing, library security, supplies and equipment, desk and staff schedules, statistics and reports, and circulation/access services); and
- Having an essential leadership role in the Arlington Campus Library and works very closely with the Head of the Library in ensuring that appropriate goals are set and met in relation to facilities management, collaboration with campus and intercampus administrative and support units, and staff supervision. Some travel is required between campuses for departmental meetings and training. Adjustments to the regular schedule may be required to accommodate staff absences, and semester, exam and intersession schedule changes.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Knowledge of library access services functions including: circulation, collection management, document delivery, course reserves, integrated library systems, and standard productivity software applications; and general familiarity with basic desktop computer systems and support;
- Ability to supervise, instruct, evaluate and provide leadership for classified and student personnel;
- Ability to interpret, explain and apply a variety of university and library policies and procedures, while remaining calm and exercising sound judgment;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, ability to assess complex situations, resolve problems, and make reasonable judgments;
- Strong service orientation;
- Strong organizational skills; and
- Advanced interpersonal skills and communication skills (written and oral) for providing service to a large, diverse user community.
Preferred Qualifications: Demonstrated supervisory experience and academic library experience.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date : 2019-03-18