Engineering Technician III
Provides technical assistance for the capital projects section and the traffic engineering section for projects including roadways, intersections, transit, and pedestrian and bicycle facilities. Updates project database using database applications, and prepares project status reports using database applications. Prepares maps and graphics using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and other software, and updates and maintains GIS layers of transportation projects. Coordinates updates of web-based maps and information from project database and GIS layers. Assists planners and engineers with transportation projects including field reviews of project locations and preparation of project scopes and preliminary estimates. Conducts research, including land records research.Illustrative Duties
- Performs highly technical work in design, research or construction;
- Drafts plans and specifications;
- Assists an engineer in assuring compliance with laws and codes by reviewing specifications, plans, or engineering reports;
- Develops estimates and specifications for design;
- Researches and responds to complaints;
- Writes reports.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of the appropriate field of engineering work;
- Ability to prepare accurate drawings and maps;
- Ability to make accurate computations and neat, accurate field notes;
- Ability to program and/or use data processing equipment;
- Ability to collect, compile, and interpret research data;
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing;
- Ability to deal with the public and investigate complaints.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to: high school graduation or a GED issued by a state department of education; plus four years of paraprofessional engineering support work, as defined by the area to which assigned.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Valid driver's license.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Strong computer skills with three years of experience with GIS software-related work or three years of non-professional planning, zoning, or transportation related work, including data management, creating project reports, and creating and updating web-based maps and information. Experience using database applications; ability to research and analyze data; strong verbal and writing skills; experience with transportation projects, including project scoping and preparing preliminary estimates.
Work is generally sedentary. However, employee may be required to do some walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items under 25 pounds in weight. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.