Program Manager, Regional Affairs
Position Summary: This position supports the Associate Director of Regional Affairs in providing support to NAFSA’s eleven regional teams with duties including communication, event and activity planning, logistics support, and evaluation of all regional activities, as well as robust administrative support to all regions throughout the year. The Regional Affairs team is responsible for the facilitation of year-round regional leader training and the Program Manager will engage daily with the regional teams to ensure high-level support and guidance to NAFSA member leaders. This position also works closely with NAFSA’s technology team and various third-party vendors to support the regions in conference planning and annual activities.
Major Functions and Responsibilities
Serve as staff liaison for regional executive teams, cohorts, and other regional member leaders (20%)
- Collaborate with Associate Director and relevant leaders to develop/ensure regional executive teams receive all relevant information related to their annual planning activities, including guidance for adherence to deadlines, deliverables, and work plans.
- Partner with Associate Director and other relevant internal stakeholders to ensure Regional Affairs’ training and skills development is focused and strategic.
- Collaborate with staff content experts as needed to plan training elements for certain cohorts and/or the regional executive team.
- Schedule and plan for monthly remote web meetings for regional executive teams, and/or cohort(s).
- Manage pre-call planning with the relevant regional leader, and internal NAFSA experts as needed.
- Update or develop materials for executive team or cohort calls and disseminate to relevant parties.
- Communicate weekly with regional executive team or cohort to support them in staying on task and within the designated work plan.
- Record trainings as needed and add to the online library of resources along with supplementary materials for the calls.
- Promptly follow up from the calls and respond to questions and concerns, consulting relevant internal staff and/or the Associate Director as needed.
- Recruit, support, and orient new leaders or coaches as they come on board.
Support the Associate Director in training sessions/meetings for new leaders and regional leaders (10%)
- Assist in the development and preparation of materials as well as co-facilitating presentations and trainings both virtually and at various meetings and events.
- Coordinate and liaise closely with internal colleagues to ensure NAFSA-wide deadlines and priorities are shared with regional leaders and their teams.
- Co-facilitate specific cohort meetings at events with volunteer coaches and internal staff experts.
Develop training for and support regional leaders in the use of event and other business technologies (25%)
- Liaise with the Event Technology Specialist to ensure maintenance of program content and volunteer management systems and assist in troubleshooting as necessary.
- Assist in the development, testing and maintenance of conference program management and expo sales systems for regional and local events where permitted.
- Assist in the onboarding and testing of registration systems and provide registration customer service as needed.
- Maintain and update training materials for regional leaders regarding the registration, content management, volunteer management, and on-site fundraising credit card payment systems for regional conferences.
- Present training sessions at various NAFSA events and record for asynchronous delivery online.
- Assist regional leaders in utilizing NAFSA’s registration systems for meetings that are eligible to use NAFSA’s technology.
- Liaise with regional leaders, the technology team and web marketing to ensure regional leaders have training and support to maintain regional content on the appropriate platform.
- Facilitate and train regional leaders on the setup of regional elections using NAFSA’s voting system.
- Provide support, training, and guidance to Model 1 state and local districts for their meetings and activities throughout the year.
Report on and ensure regional compliance with association policies and initiatives (15%)
- At the direction of the Associate Director and appropriate collaborative partner(s):
- Monitor regional compliance of designated relationships to the association,
- Ensure adequate insurance coverage is obtained for regional events,
- Ensure regional conference fundraising initiatives fall within the scope of local laws,
- Assist processing requests made in connection with regional investment accounts, and
- Communicate NAFSA policies and compliance protocols for meeting data privacy, ADA and other compliance requirements to regional leadership.
- Work with the Associate Director, meeting management vendor, and regional leaders to ensure informed and systematic future regional conference site selection and contracting that minimizes overlap in booking.
- Develop reports as needed for both internal and external audiences to confirm compliance and summarize regional activities.
Provide robust administrative support to regional executive teams, cohorts, and other regional member leaders (25%)
- Assist in the promotion/marketing of regional conferences and other regional events as needed.
- Monitor the regional affairs inbox and forward questions to appropriate leader volunteers or staff.
- Maintain updated rosters of regional teams and cohorts.
- Maintain calendars and timelines for unit’s programs and initiatives.
- Track regional affairs unit expenditures to ensure accurate accounting.
- Secure complimentary booth in regional conference expo halls for NAFSA products/services; purchase ad space in conference programs; request complimentary registration for Board members and staff.
- Coordinate shipment of NAFSA materials to each of the regional conferences.
- Coordinate the training of NAFSA staff attending regional conferences and Spring team meetings by updating staff guides, scheduling meetings, and facilitating presentations.
- Prepare notes, agendas, presentations, and other items for meetings with regional leaders and cohorts.
- Provide administrative support of volunteer management planning and the process for member volunteer groups.
- Travel and attend meetings as necessary.
Assist with other projects and duties as assigned (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least two years of previous work experience
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, including web-based applications and presentation delivery
- Demonstrated ability to plan, take initiative, set priorities, and exercise sound judgment in a complex, fast-moving environment
- Experience with database software, as well as various web or cloud-based conferencing platforms
- Ability to master various technology, web, and data management systems
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite products
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office suite products
- Exposure to or experience in volunteer engagement and/or international education
- Previous experience with NAFSA, international education, or other association membership, or nonprofit organization
As representatives of a membership organization with a broad and diverse range of activities related to education and training, NAFSA staff possess more than simply specialized capabilities. Each individual is expected to take the initiative to become knowledgeable about the organization as a whole. Association members and other staff expect colleagues to be accessible and responsive, to convey a positive attitude, and to exhibit a high degree of professionalism.
The workday is generally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The week after Memorial Day to Labor Day, it is 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday.
Travel is required occasionally related to job responsibilities, especially for the annual conference or other leadership meetings. Participation in the NAFSA annual conference the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself, is a job requirement. The annual conference is held in varying cities.
About NAFSA: Association of International Educators
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is an organization of people dedicated to building a global community and fostering a more peaceful world through advancing international higher education. With approximately 10,000 members, NAFSA is the world’s largest professional development and advocacy organization committed to international learning and creating a more globally engaged, welcoming, and educated United States.
NAFSA believes that international education advances learning and scholarship, fosters understanding and respect among people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives, is essential for developing globally competent individuals, and builds leadership for the global community. We believe that international education lies at the core of an interconnected world characterized by peace, security, and well-being for all.
NAFSA is a workplace that not only appreciates diversity but believes it is our strength, and we strive to create an inclusive culture for all our team members. NAFSA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive, and accessible workplace to all employees. Learn more about NAFSA at www.nafsa.org.