Assistant Vice President, Academic Integrity and Accountability
Assistant Vice President, Academic Integrity & Accountability
Office of the Chief Academic Officer
Exempt, Regular, Full-Time
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks a founding Assistant Vice President, Academic Integrity and Accountability to recruit and lead a new Office of Academic Integrity and Accountability within the Office of the Chief Academic Officer. This new role will be based in Largo, Maryland.
UMUC is one of the largest institutions in the world, serving a global student population. Working adults, military personnel, and other students around the globe are achieving their academic goals through UMUC's innovative educational options, including online instruction, accelerated academic programs, and classroom-based courses taught during the daytime, evenings, and weekends.
UMUC offers on-site instruction in over 150 locations in the U.S., Asia, and Europe, including over 20 locations in the Maryland and greater D.C. area. One of 12 degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland (USM), UMUC is the largest public institution of higher education in the U.S., serving over 92,000 students annually, including over 70,000 undergraduates and 20,000 graduate students.
UMUC strives to reflect the diversity of the global community within which it exists. Cultural differences are valued as essential to the educational process and working environment. Candidates with an understanding of and appreciation for diversity are especially encouraged to apply.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Assistant Vice President of Academic Integrity and Accountability (AVP) in Academic Affairs reports to the Associate Dean of The Graduate School, who also provides leadership on university-wide initiatives aligned to UMUC's Philosophy of Academic Integrity. The AVP will be responsible for leading a team that enhances a culture of academic integrity across the teaching and learning enterprise and related initiatives to combat academic misconduct and corruption under the supervision of the Associate Dean and the guidance of the Academic Affairs Leadership (AAL) Team. These responsibilities will include: coordinating academic integrity efforts throughout the institution, aligned to UMUC's Philosophy of Academic Integrity; serving as business owner for the technologies and data that verify student identity and provide identification and copyright protection of UMUC digital assets, especially summative assessment materials; and providing leadership in the development of processes, policies, and support teams to adjudicate academic misconduct cases. The AVP will work collaboratively with other UMUC departments (administrative and academic) and UMUC technology partners to promote academic integrity - and to combat academic corruption - as a community of practice across the University.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Advance a culture of academic integrity:
- Collaborate with change managers to develop and deploy a communications strategy for promoting, enhancing, and sustaining academic integrity for the UMUC community to support a culture of integrity and a coordinated response to incidents of academic misconduct.
- Establish strong relationships with University leadership to understand the strategic direction for academic integrity at UMUC, and define the resulting near- and long-term academic integrity strategic priorities, in alignment with the strategic academic integrity roadmap and UMUC's Philosophy of Academic Integrity.
- Maintain and advocate for a deep awareness across the academic enterprise of how academic integrity interfaces with UMUC business operations.
- Help UMUC stakeholders identify threats to academic integrity and lead the identification of creative solutions to these.
- Facilitate academic integrity community building efforts between academic and technology leadership including knowledge sharing, knowledge management, and best practices within and beyond UMUC.
- Maintain a high level of collaborative work with on individual academic integrity cases.
- Research and identify integrity related risks and develop strategies to mitigate integrity concerns.
Product Owner for Academic Integrity technologies:
- Serve as product owner for academic integrity technologies, to include developing and collaborating with Associate Dean and others to maintain roadmaps for continuous improvements, communicating requirements and changes, developing and administering training, and working with UMUC Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and Student Information Systems (SIS) product owners as needed to maintain critical integration points.
- Remain current with trends and developments within the functional areas of online learning, academic integrity in higher education, digital asset identification, and biometric identity verification methods and tools.
- Assist project management in release planning for Academic Integrity and Accountability priorities to ensure that stakeholder vision and priority is represented.
- Maintain list of third-party sites known to house proprietary academic content and ensure accuracy, efficiency, and proper use of the academic integrity database of sites.
- Produce, review, and assess reports of unauthorized use of UMUC content.
- Coordinate with UMUC's Office of Legal Affairs and UMUC case management systems to oversee generation and transmission of take-down notices to remove content from third party sites as needed.
- Regularly evaluate data and trends in academic misconduct and student identity authentication processes to suggest and implement enhancements to increase efficiency and reduce false-positives.
Develop and manage academic integrity processes and staff team:
- Lead development of new academic processes and policies in the areas of student identity verification and digital asset protection. Identify business needs/requirements, create process and policy documentation, and training documentation. Lead process and policy work through from elicitation to implementation.
- Build the new Academic Integrity and Accountability team, to include identifying roles and responsibilities necessary to support new academic integrity data analysis and adjudication processes, developing job descriptions, interviewing candidates, and on-boarding/training new team members.
- Develop the culture of the Academic Integrity and Accountability team, continuously looking for areas of improvement and ways to help the team stay current and engaged in trends across the market.
- Direct, plan and manage all activities and analyst staff assisting with data analysis and case adjudication, exercising full management responsibility for performance and development of subordinate staff in accordance with strategic directions.
Required education and experience: An earned Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning and at least five (5) years of relevant experience, including management responsibilities, in student affairs, student relations, or student conduct administration in higher education, or related field; skills in process design, problem solving, creative thinking, organizational skills, and efficient time management; significant experience managing teams; demonstrated experience coordinating and collaborating with faculty and staff to successfully implement new processes and technology solutions; excellent written and verbal communication skills; and experience maintaining strict confidentiality.
Preferred education and experience: An earned doctorate from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning in higher education student affairs administration, business, management, leadership, or other relevant discipline; experience in higher education student affairs, admissions, and/or advising; experience with business analysis, system implementations, workflow administration, and continuous improvement; experience with MS Office Suite, including MS Project, Visio (or LucidChart), and PowerPoint platforms; familiarity with the complexities involved in student affairs case management and academic misconduct; experience in adjudicating and/or investigating academic misconduct cases in a higher education setting; familiarity with customer relationship management (CRM) systems and/or student information system (SIS) technologies; ability to collect, analyze, interpret, evaluate and summarize data and identify trends; ability to prepare reports and report summaries for diverse audiences; ability to develop training and delivery processes; ability to oversee strategic and tactical initiatives and manage competing priorities; and a proven record demonstrating sound judgement and high ethical standards.
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.