A Sanitation Inspector performs routine sanitation Inspection work and enforces recycling, refuse collection, and disposal regulations. An employee in this class is responsible for the Inspection of streets, alleys, and adjacent properties. The employee ensures that the premises of residents are in a sanitary condition. The handling of citizen complaints is an important feature of this work and requires the use of considerable tact and diplomacy. Work is performed under general supervision. A Sanitation Inspector exercises considerable judgment in meeting regulatory problems in the field.
- Performs sanitation inspection work and enforces recycling, refuse collection, and disposal regulations;
- Ensures that the premises of residents are in a sanitary condition;
- Handles citizen complaints with considerable tact and diplomacy;
- Manages Hauler Registration and Inspection program;
- Manages all operations involving city trash cans including ordering and distribution;
- Help in managing or route collection activity for all Resource Recovery lines of Business;
- Performs related work as required.
The Ideal Candidate
To qualify for this position, all candidates must possess a High School Diploma or GED; two (2) year of experience as an Inspector; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
To be considered as an ideal candidate, one should also possess a two year college degree; three years of experience as an Inspector and possession of a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL); experience preparing and administering training to other personnel; experience working with budgets.
About the Department
T&ES is a community partner in shaping a livable, green, and prospering Alexandria. We plan, build, operate, and maintain transportation systems and infrastructure that improve mobility and provide people and businesses with core public services. The work we do keeps Alexandrians moving, growing sustainability, and thriving. If you are curious for a broader view of our City government click here, or for a broader view of the City of Alexandria click here.