Manager, Strategic Initiatives
We are the oldest and largest global professional membership organization representing the field of endocrinology. Our members come from 122 countries, with 40 percent living outside the United States. We are unique in that our members are not only on the frontier of breakthrough research discoveries, but they also apply this knowledge in the treatment of patients with hundreds of debilitating hormone-related diseases and conditions.
Through the Manager, Strategic Initiatives position, the Endocrine Society offers the opportunity to transform a creative global vision into innovative international initiatives and push beyond traditional thinking to advance and advocate on behalf of the global endocrinology community. The Manager, Strategic Initiatives has the advantage of working side-by-side with the CEO to advance the Society’s mission, commitment to excellence, and dedication for the creation of a world-class staff and member leader team. The Manager, Strategic Initiatives will work in an environment where they can apply their ability to creatively solve problems, research skills, and analysis experience to advance solutions and manage administrative responsibilities with cutting-edge projects.
What you’ll bring to the job:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred and a minimum of 5 years progressive experience in education communication or project management; PMP certification desirable.
- Significant experience with global program development is a plus.
- Multilingual is desirable.
- Strong team leader and collaborator; demonstrates critical thinking skills and exercises sound judgment.
- Ability to think outside the box for solutions or ways to accomplish projects; ability to create feasible plans to achieve goals and objectives of overall business strategy. Excellent time management skills with strong multi-tasking skills and ability to independently prioritize work in a busy environment.
- Strong communication skills, both orally and written, including proofing and copyediting.
- Proficient in broad array of technology software programs. Experience with member database, website management software tools, advanced Adobe, and travel software programs preferred.
We believe in and empower our staff. We know that with our investment in their growth, they have an even greater potential to contribute to our organization. Our core values embody the character and culture of our staff – they guide our decision making, interactions and how we serve our members. As an organization, we are committed to: demonstrating responsible stewardship, treating one another with trust and mutual respect, supporting work life balance, sustaining an inclusive environment, and fostering an environment that encompasses communication, service, collaboration, results & innovation.
What you’ll own:
- Conduct independent research on behalf of the CEO for competitive intelligence and business intelligence activities.
- Assist with the development of proposals to support global program development.
- Assist and collaborate with the CEO with executing special projects.
- Follow up on contacts made by the CEO and supports the cultivation of ongoing relationships.
- Communicate directly, and on behalf of the CEO, with staff on matters related to CEO's programmatic initiatives; is an extension of the CEO.
- Provide leadership to build relationships crucial to the success of the organization and manages a variety of special projects for the CEO, some of which may have organizational impact.
- Prioritize conflicting needs; handle matters expeditiously and proactively; anticipate issues and opportunities and follows-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
Senior Management Support
- Participate as a member of the Leadership Team including assisting in scheduling meetings and attending all meetings.
- Assist in coordinating the agenda of senior management team meetings and off-sites.
- Provide a bridge for smooth communication between the CEO’s office and internal departments; demonstrate leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with senior management staff.
- Provide complex and confidential support to senior management staff; all information held during senior management team meetings is to be regarded as confidential.
Completes a variety of administrative tasks for the CEO including:
- Managing an extremely active calendar of appointments.
- Completing expense reports; composing and preparing correspondence that is sometimes confidential; arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas; and compiling documents for travel-related meetings.
- Providing a "gateway" role, creating win-win situations for direct access to the CEO's time and office.
- Working closely and effectively with the CEO to keep her well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities and following up appropriately.
- Acting as a trusted advisor by having a “pulse” on sensitive issues taking place in the environment and keeping the CEO updated.
- Overseeing the development of the tri-annual Council Report from beginning to end. Collaborate across the organization—and at all levels—to assemble a cohesive and thorough report of the Society’s accomplishments. Demonstrating strong team leadership skills, the Manager will guide the direction of the project by managing roadblocks and opposing demands while meeting changing and tight deadlines. The Manager will utilize strong writing and editing skills including copy editing and proof reading.
- Perform website updates.
- Develop presentation materials.
What you’ll do well:
- Anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies. Anticipate possible problems and develops contingency plans in advance. Notice trends and develops plans to prepare for opportunities or problems. Anticipate the consequences of situations and plans accordingly. Anticipate how individuals and groups will react to situations and information and plans accordingly.
- Provide sound inquiry and analysis to make recommendations and decisions. Demonstrate the ability to identify problems, synthesize, evaluate, and make appropriate decisions and/or recommendations for level of job. Demonstrate the ability to weigh pros/cons and cost benefit of decisions. Use sound judgment in decision-making. Exercise timeliness in making decisions. Take appropriate actions to correct ineffective decisions.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with others to encourage and support communication and teamwork. Demonstrate the ability to build and maintain ongoing, collaborative, working relationships with coworkers and members to achieve the goals of the organization. Positively interact to a wide range of personalities.
- Consider the ability to plan and organize the work of a group, department or project and to establish effective priorities. Consider effective use of time. Demonstrate ability to “think outside the box” for solutions or ways to accomplish the job in a more effective way. Handle projects responsibly (including expense management). Prioritize as needed and meet deadlines. Communicate challenges/barriers to supervisor. Collaborate and share progress with others to get the project completed. Demonstrate effective delivery of completed project.
- Look at situations from multiple perspectives. Do or create something new. Create solutions to problems using novel methods and processes. As a contributor, develop a new product, service, method, or approach. Sponsor the development of new products, services, methods, or procedures. Propose new approaches, methods, or techniques. Develop better, faster, or less expensive ways to do things. Work cooperatively with others to produce innovative solutions
- Ensure the effective and efficient use of association resources. Develop and effectively manage departmental /project budgets. Demonstrate knowledge of appropriate business practices and procedures, ability to allocate resources, plan procurement and oversee budgets and contracts to ensure fiscal responsibility.
- Function effectively when under pressure and maintain control in the face of hostility. Demonstrate ethics and integrity. Display and communicate drive and purpose, demonstrate self-control in pressure situations. Increase capacity to learn and increase self-awareness. Demonstrate confidence and self-reliance.
What you’ll get out of it:
- Working with a staff that has passion for our mission, believes in one another, and has fun.
- The chance to work in an environment that empowers staff to take informed risks and create new programs and services.
- A chance to make a contribution in a fun job with room to make it your own.
- A strong and competitive salary and benefits package that focuses on your well-being and financial health.
Endocrine Society offers a convenient downtown DC location within walking distance of Farragut North/Farragut West and Foggy Bottom Metro stations. Qualified candidates interested in a purposeful work environment, competitive salaries and excellent benefits, including a generous TIAA- CREF retirement plan with 10% employer contribution, submit resume and cover letter with salary requirements.