Associate Vice President for Finance & Operations
The Associate Vice President (AVP) for Finance & Operations is responsible for providing leadership, management, and strategic direction to the Division of University Relations (UR). The AVP will manage 5 key departments: Finance, Business Applications, Gift Acceptance, Human Resources, and IT Services. This individual will oversee business processes and improvements, including internal policies and procedures, ensuring alignment with strategic goals, operational excellence, efficiency, consistency and compliance across the division.
As a member of the Vice President’s Senior Staff, the AVP plays an integral role in developing and executing all business and entrepreneurial ventures for University Relations, including but not limited to, support of faculty recruitment with mortgage incentives, planning for acquisition of real property for expansion of office capability, and investment strategy for trusts, annuities, and special consideration endowment funds. The AVP will formulate a strategic financial plan, including a multi-year budget, and oversee all financial activities. He/she will represent the division and the Vice President on internal and external committees and boards such as Finance Committee, Facilities Committee, Budget & Finance Committee (USMF), Investment Committee (USMF) and USMF Board (for the VP as needed).
The AVP will also serve as the Vice President and Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer of the University of Maryland College Park Foundation, Inc. In this capacity, he/she is responsible for all financial and administrative functions, processes, and controls for the Foundation. The AVP will represent the Foundation directors for all negotiations with external parties for all business transactions, acquisitions, sale or transfer of real property.
Education (include licenses, certifications, etc.):
B.S. in Finance, Accounting, Business or related field.
At least twelve years of successful and progressively responsible financial leadership in higher education, non-profit or similarly complex and decentralized operations. An innovative leader with proven experience in solving problems.
Demonstrated experience managing finance and operations teams and processes.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge of GAAP, GAAS, FASB, GASB.
• Knowledge of investment management, information systems, internal and external auditing, employment law, CASE procedures.
• Knowledge of Business and Contract law.
• Ability to lead and manage multiple complex business units and provide support and direction to senior professionals in a collaborative manner.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
• Skilled collaborator with a proactive, engaging, integrative approach to creatively finding solutions and solving problems to operational and strategic issues
• Ability to build trusting and meaningful relationships and provide high level of customer service across a range of constituencies and stakeholders
• Ability to successfully engage and motivate diverse groups of individuals and teams at all levels
• Ability to provide continual improvement to internal policies, procedures, and processes