Director, Directorate of Construction
Occasional travel - 25% or Greater
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Relocation may be authorized.
Candidates must have a broad background in the administrative or managerial aspects of safety engineering, safety management or industrial hygiene or a combination of directly related functions or comparable work, which has demonstrated abilities of the candidate to perform the duties of the position. Candidates must demonstrate managerial ability or potential to perform in a managerial capacity at a senior management level (normally equivalent to the GS-15 level in the Federal service).
To qualify for this position, all applicants must write a narrative in the spaces provided detailing accomplishments that would satisfy each of the ECQs and MTQs. You must address each ECQ and MTQ separately. If you fail to do so, your application will be rated ineligible.
In writing your responses to the ECQs, your narrative must address each ECQ separately in the spaces provided. Each ECQ should contain at least two examples describing your experiences and accomplishments/results.
Responses to ECQ's must not exceed 10 pages. It is recommended that applicants draft their ECQs in a Word document first, then cut and paste into the spaces provided following each ECQ to ensure length requirements. For additional guidance, applicants may visit the following link: www.opm.gov/ses/references/GuidetoSESQuals_2010.pdf.
Applicants are encouraged to follow the Challenge, Context, Action, and Result model outlined in the Guide.
MANDATORY EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS (ECQs):
1. Leading Change: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
2. Leading People: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
3. Results Driven: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
4. Business Acumen: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
5. Building Coalitions: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
MANDATORY TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS (MTQs): In writing your narrative responses to the MTQs, please give examples and explain how often you used your skills, the complexity of the knowledge possessed, the level of people with whom you interacted, the sensitivity of the issues you handled. etc. APPLICANTS SHOULD LIMIT THEIR RESPONSES TO ONE (1) SINGLE SPACED PAGE PER EACH MTQ WITH THE FONT SIZE NO SMALLER THAN POINT 12. It is recommended that applicants draft their MTQs in a Word document first, then cut and paste into the spaces provided following each MTQ to ensure length requirements.
1. In depth sector knowledge of safety and health programs gained through extensive practical experience, management, and education that enables the incumbent to direct a comprehensive program of occupational safety and health for the construction industry and related fields.
2. Extensive experience understanding occupational safety and health stakeholder roles, and developing, leading, and maintaining critical existing relationships within OSHA and between state and local governments, trade associations, unions, and private-industry stakeholders.
3. Experience directing outreach campaigns with governmental and private industry stakeholders that lead to measurable improvements in safety and health in the construction sector.
4. Demonstrated business acumen and substantial experience in strategically leading the planning, development, delivery, and evaluation of a nationwide safety engineering and management enforcement program. As well as an understanding of the unique construction industry regulatory development process.
The Department of Labor does not recognize academic degrees from schools that are not accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the Department of Education. Any applicant falsely claiming an academic degree from an accredited school will be subject to actions ranging from disqualification from Federal employment to removal from Federal service.
The mission of DOC is to improve construction workplace safety and health through the development of construction safety standards, interpretations, guidance, compliance assistance, enforcement policies, enforcement and outreach programs, and by the provision of engineering support to OSHA Offices, other Federal agencies, the construction industry, and the general public, and by serving as OSHA's principal liaison with the construction industry.
PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP: Prior to entry on duty, persons selected for employment with the Department of Labor who are not current DOL employees will be required to provide proof of citizenship in the form of a passport, birth certificate or other approved documentation.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated based on your experience and your responses to the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and the Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQs). It is essential that your resume provide sufficient information to substitute your responses in the self-assessment vacancy questions. If your responses are not adequately substantiated by your resume, your application will be rated ineligible.
Current/Former Career SES or SES Candidate Development graduates who have been certified by OPM must provide a narrative response to address each of the MTQs, but need not address the ECQs. In order to successfully complete the online application process you must input the term, "noncompetitive eligible" in the text boxes for each of the ECQs. You must submit a Standard Form 50 that documents your SES Career appointment or a copy of your OPM approved SES Candidate Development Program certificate.
To preview questions please click here.