Principal Parking Planner
Principal Parking Planner
The Principal Parking Planner for the Mobility Services Division performs highly visible and responsible professional work in directing and managing the City's Parking Program. The employee in this position is responsible for administration of several parking programs and projects including the development of a curbside management policy, management of the parking technologies grant, and planning for new parking meter locations and pricing policies to improve on-street parking availability. The Principal Planner also tackles challenging polices related to TNCs, taxicabs, shared mobility, food trucks, parklets, and other curbside management topics. Work is performed under the administrative direction of the Division Chief of Mobility Services within the Department of Transportation and Environmental Services. The employee is actively involved in the determination, formulation, and execution of T&ES programs and policies related to parking. Within T&ES and across the City, we work together to foster a thriving Alexandria and work toward a culture that supports each of us and inspires excellence.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with the vision, mission and values of the City of Alexandria, and provides excellent customer service;
- Encourages innovation and creativity and looks beyond the City for best practices;
- Oversees the Parking Work Plan for the City, including identifying new projects and planning for implementation;
- Works closely with City boards & commissions to achieve departmental goals and develop policy;
- Supervises the Urban Planner for Parking and Development Review and supports and encourages their professional growth within the department;
- Coordinates with other T&ES divisions and City Departments to align the goals and mission of the Parking Program with other City programs;
- Supports the Division Chief of Mobility Services in administration of the Division's mission and to manage work flow;
- Oversees the Parking Program and works with the Division Chief to set the direction of the Parking Work Plan;
- Develops a curbside management policy, through a public process, to help guide the City on addressing competing demands for finite curb space, including meter policy and new mobility uses such as dockless devices, food trucks and TNCs;
- Prepares and reviews docket items, reports and/or analysis for the City Manager, City Council, Boards & Commissions and the T&ES Director;
- Executes the Parking Technologies project which involves grant coordination, prioritizing and budgeting for specific technologies to implement, and overseeing consultants and vendors.
The Ideal Candidate
To qualify for this position, all candidates must possess a bachelor's degree in Urban Planning, Public Administration, Civil/Transportation Engineering, or related program; five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in urban planning, transportation planning, and/or engineering; or any equivalent combination of experience and training.
To be considered as an ideal candidate, one should also possess a master's degree in Urban Planning, Public Administration, Civil/Transportation Engineering, or closely related field; AICP Certification; one year of supervisory experience; five (5) years of experience in project management; and five (5) years of experience presenting technical information effectively, both orally and in writing, to large groups and senior management.
About the Department
T&ES is a community partner in shaping a livable, green, and prospering Alexandria. We plan, build, operate, and maintain transportation systems and infrastructure that improve mobility and provide people and businesses with core public services. The work we do keeps Alexandrians moving, growing sustainability, and thriving. If you are interested in a broader view of our City government click here, or for a broader view of the City of Alexandria click here.