Practice Assistant (Law Firm)
LOCATION: Washington, DC (metro-accessible)
PREFERRED HOURS: Monday through Friday, 10:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. with 1 hour (unpaid) for lunch (35-hour work week)
***Also open to 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. or 9:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M.
***Must be flexible to work overtime, as needed
SUPPORTING: Co-Managing Partner, DC Office + 3 Business Attorneys
U.S.-based, full-service law firm seeks a Practice Assistant to join their DC office and provide support to the office’s Co-Managing Partner and other attorneys as assigned (primarily in the Business Practice). The Practice Assistant will have significant contact with attorneys (both internal and external), support staff, clients, and vendors. Must observe confidentiality of client and Firm matters. This position is responsible for the accurate completion and management of work assigned by multiple attorneys. Responsibilities will include opening of new clients and matters, word processing (document production, redlining, proofreading, etc.), general filing, time entry, answering phones, scanning, scheduling meetings, making travel arrangements, submitting expense reports, calendar maintenance, assistance with client development, and handling daily mail. Will also be responsible for maintaining various lists, including InterAction database and various marketing lists maintained therein. Will also provide heavy billing assistance (Elite). Must work as a team player to assist with overflow work as needed.
- Reviewing, sorting, and distributing mail; reviewing and maintaining attorney calendars
- Drafting and typing various types of documents, including correspondence, memoranda, complex business documents, marketing materials (including PowerPoint presentations); proofreading and correcting document errors ***Must have the ability to generate TOCs and redline documents
- Scheduling and calendaring client, Firm, and office meetings; coordinating travel arrangements, as necessary
- Scheduling messengers and other vendors for pick-up of documents
- Entering attorney time and reviewing attorney time sheets for accuracy, correcting errors, as needed
- Reviewing client billing for accuracy, editing content and grammar, as needed
- Performing administrative functions, such as preparing check requests for vendor statements; entering expenses and invoices into Chrome River; assisting with various pro bono and sponsorship/marketing matters
- Organizing and scheduling small and large meetings, in person and via conference calls (may include conference room/meal arrangements)
- Maintaining Outlook calendars and contacts lists, including lists in InterAction
- At least six (6) years of recent experience as a legal secretary working for attorneys at the partner level
- Exceptional proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint (to include the ability to generate TOCs and redline documents); prior experience with Elite, billing, engagement letters, and conflicts checks preferred
- Minimum accurate typing speed of 60 WPM
- Excellent grammar and proofreading skills
- Ability to multi-task, anticipate needs, be a self-starter, and integrate to become part of the team
- Ability to interact with clients and manage attorneys’ workload a must
- Go-getter with excellent time management, critical thinking skills, and the ability to problem-solve
Please submit your resume in Word format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to hearing from you!