Public Health Advisor (Quarantine Program)
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel 10% domestic for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes You may be authorized for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Background Investigation is required-with a Position Sensitivity of Noncritical Sensitive.
- E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
- One-year probationary period may be required.
- Immunization required: Yes
- Mobility Agreement required: Yes
- Travel, transportation, and moving expenses will be paid: May be authorized
- Relocation Incentive authorized: May be authorized
- Bargaining Unit Position: No
- Drug Screening Required: No
- Recruitment Incentive may be authorized: No
- Annual Leave for non-federal service may be authorized: No
Research position: No
- Promotion potential: Yes, This position has promotion potential to GS-12. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your meeting qualifications and time-in-grade requirements, demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and administrative approval. Promotion to the next grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
- Supervisory position: No
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-09 grade level of in the Federal service as defined in the next paragraph.
Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include experience providing technical and administrative support to entities such as State and local governments, and to various public, nonprofit, or private agencies and organizations for the improvement of their public health activities relating to the control of communicable diseases.
Have 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in public health or other field of study with course work directly related to the work of the position to be filled.
Have a combination of specialized experience and graduate level education that meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the education requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: https://www.cdc.gov/jobs/future-applicant-information.html.
This position will not be filled and no job offers will be made until resolution of the HHS hiring freeze, or the position qualifies for a hiring exemption and is approved pursuant to HHS guidance.
OTHER JOB INFORMATION:
- These positions are subject to permanent reassignment to another CDC Quarantine Station or duty station as the needs of the service warrant.
- These positions are subject to temporary assignment at any location in the United States and its territories or possessions, in foreign countries, or at sea.
- Selectee will be required to sign a Geographic Mobility Agreement.
- These positions are subject to shift work, weekend work, irregular work schedule and evening hours. On call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, independent of shift work assignments.
- The incumbents will be required to wear a uniform.
- The incumbent must be able to qualify for unrestricted access to secure areas at U.S ports.
- The incumbent must be able to qualify for a secret security clearance.
- The incumbent must be able to obtain an official U.S. passport.
- The incumbent must have a valid State government-issued driver's license.
- The incumbent is required to be current in his/her immunizations per ACIP guidelines. Must undergo baseline and periodic health screening procedures such as respiratory fit testing and PPD tests for tuberculosis exposure. May be required to wear an N-95 respirator.
- The incumbent must be physically fit enough to work long hours and frequently travel on foot to remote gate areas in a short period of time.
- The incumbent must berequired to provide basic quarantine station support, including purchasing, property inventory, document processing, timekeeping, and answering inquiries, etc.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form.
For more information on veterans' preference see http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov). For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
To view the questionnaire, click on the following link:
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document(s), view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application. Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates.
The category assignment is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified. The Category Rating Process does not add veterans' preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher).
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics).
- Collaboration / Partnering
- Continuous Development
- Customer Service
- Data Synthesis
- Decision Making
- Networking and Partnership Development (2)
- Oral Communication
- Problem Solving
- Program Assessment
- Program Planning and Development
- Public Health Information Dissemination
- Public Health Knowledge
- Results Driven
- Written Communication