Bus Driver - Instructor
The bus driver instructor is responsible for classroom instruction, behind-the-wheel instruction, retraining
instruction, transport van training, third party CDL testing if necessary, and other duties as assigned. The bus
driver instructor assists the Transportation Area Supervisor in charge of training. The work includes operating
a school bus and field observation of school bus drivers and attendants.
* Assists in the preparation of materials for all training sessions.
* Performs field observations and ride-along observations.
* Assists supervisors in daily school bus operations, to include providing safe transportation of students,
maintaining effective control of students, and assisting bus attendants in boarding and securing students in
the bus seats.
* Assists with the Transportation In-Service Meeting twice yearly, open house recruitment events, and public
* Provides third-party testing for the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) as required.
* Performs related work as directed.
* High school graduate or GED equivalent, minimum of four years of driving experience, minimum age of 20,
and Commercial Driver's License with school bus and passenger endorsement, for a minimum of 2 years.
* Possess a Commercial Driver's License with school bus endorsement and a completed physician's certificate
(School Bus Driver's Application for Physician Certificate, form EB.001) which is required under the
provision of Section 22.1-178 of the Code of Virginia and Regulations of the Virginia Board of Education)
with controlled substance testing, annual physical examinations, and random tests for use of controlled
substances and alcohol, as prescribed by the Virginia Board of Education and Loudoun County Public
* Knowledge of school bus operations, traffic and highway safety rules and regulations, local street and road
system, and basic mechanical principles of motor vehicle operations.
* Advanced level of verbal fluency in English is required.
* Ability to communicate effectively with students, staff, and parents; carry out written and oral instructions;
and operate a two-way radio.
* Possess or ability to obtain National Safety Council First Aid and CPR Instructor Certifications within six
months of hire.
* Obtain certification as a Virginia School Bus Driver Trainer and DMV Third-Party Tester as required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit for prolonged periods of
time; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects or tools; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is
regularly required to see, talk, and hear; to climb stairs and ladders; to bend, kneel, crouch, and crawl; to
hold, grasp, and turn objects; to use fingers to operate computer keyboards; and to feel shapes, size, and
temperature of objects. The employee is regularly required to maneuver the aisle of bus with ease and may
be required to lift up to approximately 50 pounds.
The Bus Driver - Instructor reports to the Transportation Area Supervisor.