Assistant Inspector General for Audit
25% or less - The incumbent may be required to travel 1 to 5 or more days each month.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
As a basic requirement for entry into the SES, you must provide evidence of progressively responsible leadership experience that is indicative of senior executive level management capability; and that is directly related to the skills and abilities outlined under the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQs) listed below. Typically, experience of this nature will have been gained at or above the GS-15 grade level in the federal service or its equivalent with state or local government, the private sector, or non-governmental organizations.
Candidates must meet all of the following qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement, including general management skills and characteristics applicable to all SES positions AND technical or program responsibilities specific to this position.
Guidance on Addressing the ECQs and MTQs: Use your overall set of professional and volunteer experiences, education and training, accomplishments, awards and potential in describing your ECQs and MTQs. Be clear and concise, using examples that demonstrate the scope and quality of your experiences, accomplishments, and/or potential relevant to each ECQ and MTQ. THE NARRATIVE STATEMENT MUST ADDRESS EACH ECQ AND MTQ SEPARATELY AND IDENTIFY WHICH ECQ OR MTQ IS BEING ADDRESSED (e.g. ECQ 1, MTQ 1, MTQ 2, etc.).
IMPORTANT: Structure your ECQ statements in terms of actions you have taken, the context or environment in which the action was taken and the outcome or results of those actions (Challenge - Context - Action - Result (C-C-A-R) Model). For further information and tips on writing effective narrative statements, see OPM's publication 'A Guide to SES Qualifications' available on the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) website at: www.opm.gov/ses/recruitment/ecq.asp. Please be advised that the individual selected for this position will likely require certification by a Qualifications Review Board conducted by OPM, prior to receiving the SES appointment.
Each of the following competencies are the foundation for success in each of the Executive Core Qualifications: Interpersonal Skills, Oral Communication, Written Communication, Integrity/Honesty, Continual Learning, and Public Service Motivation. The essay competencies address the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs). Your responses are required for each of these ECQs, unless you have had your ECQs previously certified by an Office of Personnel Management Qualifications Review Board (QRB) for the Senior Executive Service (SES).
If you are already certified by OPM's QRB, submit proof such as a copy of the certification or an SF-50 showing SES Career Status.
There is a system limitation for the ECQs and MTQs of 10,000 characters. If you need to submit additional information please upload the information into the correct category.
ECQ 1: LEADING CHANGE - This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment. Creativity and Innovation - Develops new insights into situations; questions conventional approaches; encourages new ideas and innovations; designs and implements new or cutting edge programs/processes. External Awareness - Understands and keeps up-to-date on local, national, and international policies and trends that affect the organization and shape stakeholders' views; is aware of the organization's impact on the external environment. Flexibility - Is open to change and new information; rapidly adapts to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles. Resilience - Deals effectively with pressure; remains optimistic and persistent, even under adversity. Recovers quickly from setbacks. Strategic Thinking - Formulates objectives and priorities, and implements plans consistent with the long-term interests of the organization in a global environment. Capitalizes on opportunities and manages risks. Vision - Takes a long-term view and builds a shared vision with others; acts as a catalyst for organizational change. Influences others to translate vision into action.
ECQ 2: LEADING PEOPLE - This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. Conflict Management - Encourages creative tension and differences of opinions. Anticipates and takes steps to prevent counter-productive confrontations. Manages and resolves conflicts and disagreements in a constructive manner. Leveraging Diversity - Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the organization. Developing Others - Develops the ability of others to perform and contribute to the organization by providing ongoing feedback and by providing opportunities to learn through formal and informal methods. Team Building - Inspires and fosters team commitment, spirit, pride, and trust. Facilitates cooperation and motivates team members to accomplish group goals.
ECQ 3: RESULTS DRIVEN - This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. Accountability - Holds self and others accountable for measurable high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results. Determines objectives, sets priorities, and delegates work. Accepts responsibility for mistakes. Complies with established control systems and rules. Customer Service - Anticipates and meets the needs of both internal and external customers. Delivers high-quality products and services; is committed to continuous improvement. Decisiveness - Makes well-informed, effective, and timely decisions, even when data are limited or solutions produce unpleasant consequences; perceives the impact and implications of decisions. Entrepreneurship - Positions the organization for future success by identifying new opportunities; builds the organization by developing or improving products or services. Takes calculated risks to accomplish organizational objectives. Problem Solving - Identifies and analyzes problems; weighs relevance and accuracy of information; generates and evaluates alternative solutions; makes recommendations. Technical Credibility - Understands and appropriately applies principles, procedures, requirements, regulations, and policies related to specialized expertise.
ECQ 4: BUSINESS ACUMEN - This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. Financial Management - Understands the organization's financial processes. Prepares, justifies, and administers the program budget. Oversees procurement and contracting to achieve desired results. Monitors expenditures and uses cost-benefit thinking to set priorities. Human Capital Management - Builds and manages workforce based on organizational goals, budget considerations, and staffing needs. Ensures that employees are appropriately recruited, selected, appraised, and rewarded; takes action to address performance problems. Manages a multi-sector workforce and a variety of work situations. Technology Management - Keeps up-to-date on technological developments. Makes effective use of technology to achieve results. Ensures access to and security of technology systems.
ECQ 5: BUILDING COALITIONS - This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. Partnering - Develops networks and builds alliances; collaborates across boundaries to build strategic relationships and achieve common goals. Political Savvy - Identifies the internal and external politics that impact the work of the organization. Perceives organizational and political reality and acts accordingly. Influencing/Negotiating - Persuades others; builds consensus through give and take; gains cooperation from others to obtain information and accomplish goals.
Each of the following essay competencies address the Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQs). Your responses are required for each of these MTQs.
MTQ 1: Demonstrate a professional knowledge of accounting and auditing principles, concepts, and techniques to serve as an expert on the interpretation and application of accounting theory and methodology, as applied to a complex environment combined with the demonstrated ability to apply standards promulgated by the GAO, AICPA, and other professional organizations.
MTQ 2: Demonstrated knowledge of management principles and practices applied in the operation of an office including strategic planning, developing goals, performance management and reporting, personnel management policies relative to the responsibilities of a supervisor in areas such as employee relations, recruitment, and equal employment opportunity.
MTQ 3: Demonstrated experience managing audit operations, programs, and practices.
MTQ 4: Demonstrated ability to meet and reach consensus on complex issues with individuals, groups, and high-level officials within and outside the agency being audited, and the ability to appropriately support the position of the organization when disagreements occur.
We recommend that you preview the online questions for this announcement before you start the application process.
Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in accounting or in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law.
Combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;
A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or
Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
- This position has been designated as a Career Reserved position and will be filled on a career basis. Office of Personnel Management approval and a probationary period will be required for any applicant who does not have Senior Executive Service (SES) career status.
- OPM Certification: An initial appointment to an SES position is contingent on approval from the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualifications Review Board unless the selectee has successfully completed an OPM approved SES Candidate Development Program.
- Veterans' Preference does not apply to the Senior Executive Service.
- Executive Branch agencies are prohibited by law from accepting or considering political recommendations and are required to return any political recommendations to the sender.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, you must certify that you have registered with Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- If you are retired from the Federal Government and are selected for this vacancy, your retirement annuity may be offset from your pay.
- The HUD OIG has contracted with the Treasury's Bureau of Fiscal Service (BFS) to provide certain personnel services to its organization. BFS's responsibilities include advertising the vacancies, accepting and handling applications, and extending job offers.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- Relocation expenses ARE NOT authorized.
- This is a non-bargaining unit position.
- We offer opportunities for telework.
- We offer opportunities for flexible work schedules.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Receive certification from OPM's Qualifications Review Board (QRB) based on your submitted ECQs, unless you have been certified in the past.
- Complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed) in the Senior Executive Service (SES) under career status.
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment.
- File a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report.
- Successfully complete a background investigation.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9 http:www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf). Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Have and maintain a reputation of integrity, reliability, trustworthiness, impartiality, and good judgment.
- Public Trust – Background Investigation will be required.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- Be willing to travel.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your résumé, responses to each ECQ and MTQ, and required supporting documents.
1. Minimum Requirements: Your application must show that you meet all requirements, including the education and/or experience required for this position. You may be found "not qualified" if you do not possess the minimum competencies required for the position. If your application is incomplete, we may rate you as ineligible.
2. Rating: A panel of Senior Executives will review your application and evaluate your qualifications for this position based on the information in your application. Interviews will be at the discretion of the panel and/or selecting official. Your application will be rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education, and training relevant to the duties of this position.
3. Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration and possible interview.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Not Required Drug test required No