Chief Data Scientist
Occasional travel - Occasional
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Subject to approval
PROFESSIONAL/TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS (PTQs)
- The PTQs describe the necessary professional and technical knowledge, skills, and competencies needed to successfully perform the duties of this position. If you're a federal employee, this level of experience is typically gained as a GS-14 or GS-15.
The PTQs for this position are:
- Experience applying data science and advanced data analytics, including structured, unstructured, or relational and data mining and machine learning techniques.
- Experience participating in and driving client engagements focused on big data and advanced business analytics in diverse domains such as product development, marketing research, public policy, optimization, and risk management; communicating results; and educate others through reports and presentations.
- Experience evaluating options for data management infrastructure and tools, design comparison tests, prototype as needed, to steer build/buy decisions.
EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS (ECQs)
- The ECQs were designed to assess executive experience and potential not technical expertise. They measure whether an individual has the broad executive skills needed to succeed in a variety of SES positions.
The ECQs for this position are:
- Leading Change: experience bringing about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals, establishing an organizational vision, and implementing it in a continuously changing environment.
- Leading People: experience leading people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals, providing an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitating cooperation and teamwork, and supporting constructive resolution of conflicts.
- Results Driven: experience meeting organizational goals and customer expectations, making decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
- Business Acumen: experience managing human, financial, and information resources strategically.
- Building Coalitions: experience building coalitions internally and with other federal agencies, state and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
Other desirable qualifications for this position include experience:
1. Building complex data extraction, transformation, and loading, including Extract, Transform, and Load into structured databases, data warehouses, and data processing systems.
2. Developing, testing, and applying optimized algorithms and statistical models for discovering new intelligence data, minimizing false positives, and recommending courses of action for internal and external stakeholders.
3. Performing machine learning (ML), natural language (NLP), artificial intelligence (AI), text mining and statistical analysis methods, such as classification, collaborative filtering, association rules, sentiment analysis, topic modeling, time-series analysis, regression, statistical inference, and validation methods.
An interdisciplinary, professional position is a position involving duties and responsibilities closely related to more than one professional occupation. As a result, the nature of the work enables people with education and experience in either of two or more professions to be considered equally well qualified to do the work.
The final classification of the position is determined by the qualifications of the person selected to fill it.
You may qualify for this position based on one of the professional occupations below.
General Mathematics and Statistics, 1501
To qualify for this occupational series, you must possess one of the following:
- Degree -- at least a bachelor’s degree in a major that is appropriate for the position (e.g., mathematics, statistics, actuarial science, operations research, computer science). Combination of education and experience -- courses equivalent to a major that is appropriate for the position (e.g., mathematics, statistics, actuarial science, operations research, computer science) AND additional education or appropriate experience. Substantial record of experience, achievement, and/or publications that demonstrates eminence in this professional/scientific field.
Computer Engineering, 0854
To qualify for this occupational series, you must posses one of the following:
Degree -- bachelor’s degree in a school of engineering with at least one program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, Inc. (ABET).
Degree -- included differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
Professional registration or license -- current registration as an Engineer Intern (EI), Engineer in Training (EIT), or license as a Professional Engineer (PE) in the United States, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico.
Written test -- evidence of having successfully passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination or any other written test required for professional registration by an engineering licensing board in the United States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico.
Specified academic courses -- Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences and that included differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
Related curriculum -- successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in a scientific field (e.g., engineering technology, physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology) AND at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance.
Substantial record of experience, achievement, and/or publications that demonstrates eminence in this professional/scientific field.
ADDITIONAL SELECTIONS: We may use this announcement to make additional selections for similar positions.
CAREER SES APPOINTMENT: You will be eligible for reinstatement to the SES as a career appointee or eligible for noncompetitive transfer to a career SES appointment in the civil service SES under GAO’s interchange agreement with the Office of Personnel Management (OPM).
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION: GAO provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. To request an accommodation, please email ReasonableAccommodations@gao.gov.
REPORTING STRUCTURE: You will report to GAO’s Chief Scientist and Managing Director of the Science, Technology Assessment, and Analytics team.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE: Does not apply to GAO's SES/SL positions.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
- Your application will be screened to determine if you meet the requirements listed in the announcement.
- A panel of SES members will evaluate your executive experience and potential demonstrated in your application.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Secret Drug test required No