Retirement & Disability Specialist
The Department of Business and Financial Services is responsible for the maintenance and operation of a balanced budget. The department establishes internal controls, policies and execution to provide the highest quality of services in financial support of Loudoun County public schools. The Department includes the following teams: Financial Services, Accounting, Employee Health & Wellness, Payroll, Retirement & Disability Programs, Risk Management, Budget, and Procurement Services.
This is highly specialized work in retirement benefits, workers compensation, leave and disability administration. This position is responsible for conducting benefit information meetings; counseling employees on retirement, workers
compensation, leave and disability benefits; develops and maintains a working relationship with school, county and outside agency personnel and ensures that federal, state and School Board mandates are being implemented. Duties are primarily high-level administrative and technical, although routine clerical and office tasks are performed as well. Work is performed independently, but is subject to regulations and procedures, which require interpretation and judgment. Work is subject to frequent interruptions, inflexible deadlines and peak work periods.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The following information is intended to describe the overall nature and scope of the work being performed in relation to the position. This is not a comprehensive listing of all responsibilities or tasks; other work may be assigned when deemed appropriate:
* Administers all retirement programs, workers compensation, leave, and disability benefits offered.
* Responsible for workers comp claims and FMLA leave/disability/ADA case management including review, approval and monitoring.
* Conducts benefit orientations specifically retirement, workers comp, leaves, disability, and ADA.
* Provides education and consultation to employees on retirement, workers comp and leave/disability/ADA programs.
* Assists with calculating retirement estimates based on a review of personnel records and evaluation of service eligibility and salary data.
* Maintains in-depth knowledge of laws, regulations, policies and industry trends.
* Documents and maintains policies and procedures.
* Assists in identifying opportunities and continual improvements.
* Collaborate with third-party benefit vendors, to review, analyze and assist with timely responses relating to claim issues, invoice/billings, reporting, and audits.
* Performs electronic file transmissions and carrier feeds to vendors which include connection set up, validating, and auditing files.
* Assists with developing effective employee communications to improve understanding of benefit plan options, e-magazine articles, and video recordings to enhance training.
* Handles difficult and/or emotional situations with tact and diplomacy; maintaining appropriate confidentiality.
* Reviews, validates and reconciles payroll benefit deductions, vendor billing/invoices and resolves discrepancies.
* Handles disability accommodations by ensuring all requests are reviewed and adhere to the requirement of the Americans with Disability Act and EEOC regulations.
* Assists with processing applications for retirement and leave benefits.
* Assists with the configuration and testing of benefits self-service portal.
* Performs other duties, special projects, and activities as assigned.
* Bachelor's degree required
* Three years of specialized experience in retirement and benefits administration
* Experience working with Defined Benefit and Defined Contribution plans
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Power Point)
* Must be comfortable with creating and maintaining spreadsheets and electronic files, including the ability to create complex formulas and pivot tables
* Must be detail oriented
* Must have strong oral and written communication skills
* Demonstrated ability to create and deliver presentations to all levels of employees
* Experience with Oracle software or other integrated human capital management system is preferred.
* Spanish speaking abilities preferred
The following provides a brief description of physical requirements for this position:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly talking, expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly. The employee must possess normal cognitive abilities including the ability to learn, recall and apply certain practices and policies. Frequently sitting and/or remaining in a stationary position for long periods of time. Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift,
carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.