Accounting, Undergraduate School - Adjunct Faculty
6 days left
- Full Time
The Undergraduate School
Locations: Shady Grove, MD and Online
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks adjunct faculty to teach, online and on site in the United States in the Accounting program. Specifically, we are seeking faculty for our Shady Grove, MD location. Specifically, we are seeking faculty for the following course:
Accounting for Government and Not-for-Profit Organizations (ACCT 410, 3 Credits): An introduction to the theory and practice of accounting as applied to governmental entities and not-for-profit organizations. The objective is to evaluate transactions, prepare and analyze financial statements, write financial briefings, and apply accounting rules and procedures. Topics include the evaluation and preparation of reports required for governmental and not-for-profit entities.
Advanced Accounting (ACCT 424, 3 Credits): A study of advanced accounting theory, applied to specialized topics and contemporary problems. The aim is to prepare, present, and explain financial statements in five sectors--consolidated, international, partnership, not-for-profit, and state and local governments-- and analyze a firm's dissolution or reorganization. Emphasis is on consolidated statements and partnership accounting. Various techniques are used to study accounting theory and practice; these may include the use of problem sets, case studies, computer applications, and other materials.
International Accounting (ACCT 425, 3 Credits): A study of accounting in a multinational context. Discussion covers the historical development and current status of international financial reporting standards. The goal is to recognize the influence of politics and culture on the development of accounting systems, prepare financial statements according to international financial reporting standards, and analyze the financial statements of a multinational enterprise. Strategies to manage and hedge against foreign currency exposure are developed. Topics include evolving international accounting and reporting standards, foreign exchange and taxation, intercompany transfer pricing, and emerging issues in international accounting
Required Education and Experience
- Master's degree in Accounting or a related field from an accredited institution of higher learning
- 6 or more years of professional experience in Accounting or a related field
- 3 or more years of teaching experience, online and in person
- Certification such as the CPA, CIA, CISA, or CFE
- You must meet the minimum technology requirements, which can be reviewed at https://www.umuc.edu/visitors/careers/facultyrecruit/upload/Adjunct-Faculty-Minimum-Technology-Requirements.pdf
- Experience teaching adult learners online and in higher education is strongly preferred
- This position is specifically to teach in Shady Grove, MD or Online.
Materials needed for submission
- Resume/ Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter highly preferred
- If selected, candidates with international degrees may be required to submit translation/ degree evaluation from a NACES approved organization.
Who We Are and Who We Serve
UMUC—one of 12 degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland (USM)—is a mission-driven institution with seven core values that guide us in all we do. At the top of the list is "Students First,” and we strive to do just that for our 90,000 students at home and abroad. From its start in 1947, UMUC has demonstrated its commitment to adult learners. We recognize that adult students need flexibility and options. UMUC is proud to be a global, 24-hour, institution of higher learning.
The typical UMUC student is an adult learner juggling a career, family, and other priorities. Roughly 80% work full time, half are parents, and half are minority students. They are continuing their education to better themselves, their families, and their professional opportunities. UMUC is also a leading higher education provider to the U.S. military, enrolling 55,000 active-duty service members, reservists, National Guard members, veterans, and family members annually. We are proud of our military heritage and are committed to this service.
The Adjunct Faculty Role at UMUC
UMUC is committed to helping students achieve success not only with us, but also in their professional fields. As a result, we actively seek faculty members who are scholar-practitioners: professionals who are actively and successfully engaged in their field who additionally wish to help the next generation of professionals grow in their knowledge and expertise through education. Your role as an adjunct faculty member will be to:
- Actively engage students through frequent interaction that motivates them to succeed, and conveys a genuine energy and enthusiasm for their learning.
- Guide students in active collaboration and the application of their learning in problem- and project-based learning demonstrations.
- Provide rich and regular constructive feedback, utilizing rubrics effectively for the assessment of student work, and acknowledging student accomplishments.
- Demonstrate relevant and current subject-matter expertise, and help students connect concepts across their academic program.
- Provide feedback to your program chair on possible curricular improvements.
The Accounting program at UMUC
Please visit the following link to learn more about this program, including its description, outcomes, and coursework: http://www.umuc.edu/academic-programs/bachelors-degrees/accounting-major.cfm
Faculty Training at UMUC
We are committed to your professional success at UMUC. Each new faculty member is required to successfully complete our online two-week new faculty orientation, FacDev 411, as a condition of hire.
Position Available and will Remain Open until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Adjunct faculty candidates will be required to provide official transcripts during the candidate selection process.
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.