Director, School Nutrition Services
The Director, School Nutrition Services provides leadership for the total operation of the School Nutrition
Services (SNS) program. Employee will plan, organize, and administer the direction of the Division of School Nutrition Services in a large, growing suburban/rural environment. The employee will be responsible for the Federal Breakfast/Lunch Program, After School Snack Program, Summer School Food Service Programs, Supper Program and other non-federal programs. The employee will be responsible for establishing budgetary, nutritional, operational and inventory procedures, and directs the work of all employees. The employee will provide information and serve as a resource to district administrators, achieving defined objectives by planning, developing, implementing and maintaining services in compliance with district objectives as well as all relevant guidelines, policies, codes, and regulations related to nutrition, health, sanitation, procurement, and fiscal responsibilities.
* Leads change to drive continuous improvement and innovation, and builds participation across programs.
* Develops partnerships with the community to promote understanding of SNS programs and markets the
program in the broader community to achieve increased participation.
* Supervises personnel functions including interviewing, evaluating, supervising, disciplining, training and
development, and record retention.
* Balances the compliment of full-time and part-time staff to effectively manage labor costs.
* Develops a staffing model based on industry best practices for schools to ensure optimal productivity.
* Establishes robust marketing efforts to promote child nutrition programs within the school division.
* Increases awareness and student participation through coordination of media requests, strong presence
through SNS website, social media and other appropriate outlets.
* Develops and administers the SNS annual budget including monitoring budget allocations, expenditures,
fund balances and related financial activities to ensure appropriate fiscal practices are followed.
* Conducts monthly P & L reviews and issues reports as required.
* Directs the implementation of quality standards in the areas of food, customer service, professional
appearance, and sanitation.
* Follows local, state and federal health codes and supervises training in food safety to ensure that food is
safe for customers.
* Reviews and makes recommendations for revision of School Board Policies affecting SNS.
* Implements a district-wide customer service driven philosophy that focuses on value and satisfaction.
* Assists with the design and planning of new school kitchens and renovations, keeping abreast of
innovations and technology in food service equipment.
* Develops and implements appropriate staff training and development for Food and Nutrition Services
employees using adult learning principals.
* Ensures that the highest standard of ethics is achieved and sustained in procurement of food, materials
and supplies needed by SNS.
* Directs the planning, development and testing of new products for menus by conducting taste testing with
students and staff.
* Stays abreast of current research, trends and best practices relevant to child nutrition programs.
* Bachelor's degree in dietetics, food and nutrition, or food services management from an accredited college or university
* At least 5-7 years of program management experience, preferably in school nutrition
* Knowledge of principles and practices of nutrition and of State and Federal regulations related to school
* Experience in training and professional development of staff in areas related to volume food preparation,
marketing, food safety and nutrition
* Credentialing with the School Nutrition Association is desirable
The School Nutrition Services Director is responsible to the Assistant Superintendent for Support Services.