Engineering Student Trainee
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Selectee must pass a drug test prior to appointment.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation/ suitability determination prior to appointment.
- Selective Service registration if you are a male born after 12/31/59.
- You must possess a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale. (Note: If you are using Superior Academic Achievement (S.A.A) a GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale is required.
- You must be currently enrolled in a qualifying educational institution.
- Transcripts are required with the current enrollment and course load (see Proof of 2019 Enrollment).
- Must complete initial online questionnaire and additional assessment(s)
To qualify for the PG-05 level, you must have completed 4 academic years of post-high school leading to a bachelor's degree or equivalent in an engineering or related field of study.
To qualify for the Engineering Student Trainee, PG-0899-07, you must meet the following requirement:
To qualify for the PG-07 level, you meet one of the following below:
- Completed 1 year full academic year of graduate level education (18 semester credits); OR
- Completed a 4 year course of study and have a bachelor's degree in which you obtained Superior Academic Achievement (S.A.A.) which recognizes students who have achieved superior academic standing in a curriculum that is qualifying for this line of work which is evidenced by: (1) Class standing - Applicants must be in the upper third graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision, such as the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, based on completed courses, (2) Grade-point average (GPA) - Applicants must have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale, and (3) Election to membership in one of the national scholastic honor societies listed in the Association of College Honor Societies: Booklet of Information (1992-95) and/or Baird's Manual of American College Fraternities (1991).
Preferred majors of study - Mechanical Engineering and Electronics Engineering
To be eligible for the Pathways Intern Program at GPO, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a degree-seeking student (diploma, certificate, etc.) in a qualifying educational institution/program (including 4-year colleges/universities, community colleges, and junior colleges) on a full or half-time basis.
- Applicants who graduate college at the conclusion of the Spring 2019 semester may only be considered if they are also accepted for enrollment for the Fall 2019 semester.
- Be in good academic standing (overall GPA of 2.5 or higher) Note: A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher is required if using Superior Academic Achievement (S.A.A.)
- Click here for a definition of a qualifying education institution/program. https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/faq/application/qualifications/qualifying-education/
Proof of 2019 Enrollment -
a. Current Students: A current transcript showing your schedule for the current and/or upcoming semester, GPA and number of semester hours is sufficient proof of enrollment.
b. Re-enrolled Students (a student re-entering school after taking time off): A letter from the registrar's office, on the university/college letterhead, showing you are currently enrolled for the upcoming semester will serve as proof of enrollment.
c. Transcripts - Applicants must submit an unofficial transcript or a list of college courses completed indicating course titles, credit hours, grades received and overall GPA. An official transcript from an accredited educational institution is required if you are selected for the position.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management web site:
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement to be considered.
Additional vacancies may be filled through this announcement.
GRADUATE EDUCATION: One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.
UNDER GRADUATE EDUCATION: For undergraduate level education, successfully completed education is credited based on its relationship to 120 semester hours or 180 quarter hours. For example, 30 semesters hours or 45 quarter hours is comparable to 1 year of undergraduate education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/abouft/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Employment of Relatives: Section 3110 of Title 5, U.S. Code, prohibits a Federal official from appointing, promoting, or advocating the appointment or promotion of a relative in the agency where the official is serving or exercises jurisdiction. In addition, Section 2302(b)(7) of Title 5, U.S. Code, makes it a "prohibited personnel practice" for a person in authority to "appoint, employ, promote, advance, or advocate for the appointment, employment, promotion, or advancement of a relative." For further information visit: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/5/3110 and https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/5/2302
Separated Employees:If you have separated from Federal Government employment, you may obtain a copy of your SF-50 via: National Personnel Records Center, Annex, 1411 Boulder Boulevard, Valmeyer, IL, 62295; FAX - 618-935-3014; or visit the National Archives Website.
Background Investigation: To ensure the accomplishment of its mission, the GPO requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, all selected applicants must undergo and successfully completed a background investigation for a suitability. This review could include financial issues such as delinquency in the payment of debts, child support and/or tax obligations, as well as certain criminal offenses and illegal use or possession of drugs. Depending on the type of background investigation required, the security process may take between 6 weeks to 12 months.The Agency may rescind the tentative offer, if the candidate is unable to obtain an interim clearance.
Schedule A (Disability Appointment):Documentation of eligibility for employment under Schedule A can be obtained from a licensed medical professional (e.g., a physician or other medical professional certified by a state, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory to practice medicine); a licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist (i.e., state or private); or any Federal agency, state agency, or agency of the District of Columbia or a U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits. The letter must be printed on a "medical professional's" letterhead and signed.
Reasonable Accommodation: This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process you must contact the HC Specialist on the vacancy announcement at least seven business days before the closing date of this announcement to receive assistance. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy: The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated based on how well you meet the qualifications listed in this Job Opportunity Announcement. Your qualifications will be evaluated based on your application materials (e.g., resume, supporting documents), the responses you provide on the application questionnaire, and the result of the online assessments required for this position. You will be assessed on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics):
- Attention to Detail
- General Engineering
In order to be considered for this position, you must complete all required steps in the process.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above. Candidates will be evaluated based solely on basic eligibility requirements using OPM Qualifications standards.
Candidates who meet the qualification requirements will be referred to the hiring official for consideration in an unranked order. Overstating your qualifications and/or experience in your application materials or application questionnaire may result in your removal from consideration.
Veterans' Preference:Selections will be made in accordance with the requirements of 5 CFR Part 302, veterans preference laws, and OPM guidance.
If after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may be excluded from further consideration for this position. Read more Security clearance Other Drug test required Yes