Master Combination Inspector
Works as part of LDS's Building Division. The successful candidate will:
- Inspect commercial and residential structures to ensure compliance with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code.
- Examine and evaluate building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical systems in commercial and residential structures.
- Educate property owners and tenants, building engineers, contractors, other government agencies, and citizens on regulations and the importance of building safety.
- Maintain inspection reports using a county-provided laptop for added job mobility.
- Handle administrative work associated with commercial and residential inspections.
- Investigate complaints related to new construction and unsafe existing structures.
PLEASE NOTE: Position may be underfilled as a Combination Inspector; the underfill requirements are stated below in the Employment Standards section.
This will be closing on 12/27/2019 at 11:59. To be considered for an opening, please submit your application as soon as possible. Employment Standards
Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to graduation from high school or a GED issued by a state department of education; and five years of construction and/or inspection experience.
This position may be underfilled as a Combination Inspector (Grade S21, $50,739.73 to 84,565.73). The Minimum Qualifications for the Combination Inspector are: Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to graduation from high school, or a GED issued by a state department of education; plus four years of residential construction and/or inspection experience for positions assigned to residential inspections or four years of commercial construction and/or inspection experience for positions assigned to commercial inspections.
For more information on the underfill employment standards and requirements, please visit this link for the Combination Inspector and refer to the Employment Standards and Certificates and Licenses Required sections.
Working knowledge of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code Experience. Basic computer skills and ability to use software to access centralized information systems to retrieve and enter data. Experience preparing, organizing and conducting training classes with peers and industry. Effective verbal and written communication skills necessary to convey technical information and enter clear and concise inspection results within a diverse community. Ability to maintain effective and courteous relationships with contractors, the public and fellow employees.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Possession of a valid motor vehicle driver's license upon hire.
Certification by the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (VDHCD), in all of the following upon hire:
VDHCD Commercial Building Inspector
VDHCD Commercial Electrical Inspector
VDHCD Commercial Mechanical Inspector
VDHCD Commercial Plumbing Inspector
VDHCD Residential Building Inspector
VDHCD Residential Electrical Inspector
VDHCD Residential Mechanical Inspector
VDHCD Residential Plumbing Inspector
The following physical requirements are performed with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Ability to lift 50 pounds with assistance.
- Ability to operate keyboard-driven equipment.
- Ability to distinguish colors of wiring.
- Ability to work in adverse weather.
- Ability to climb step ladders and ladders up to 40 feet with required safety equipment.
- Ability to crawl, crouch, stoop and work in uncomfortable conditions.
- Ability to walk/traverse through and over various terrain.
- Ability to climb multiple levels of stairs.
- Ability to reach with arms extended above the head.
- Ability to go up and down steep inclines.
- Ability to walk and adequately maneuver in an outside/inside environment.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee(s) to the position(s) will be required to complete a criminal background, pre-employment physical and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Subject to 24 hour call back and must, therefore, be able to work emergency overtime. Subject to working in adverse weather conditions.
Panel interview, may include a written exercise.
Note: This position is listed as "open continuous." Interested applicants are advised to submit their applications as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed and qualified applicants referred on a continuous basis. Interviews will be conducted on a regular basis throughout the recruitment with candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. If your application is received later in the recruitment process, it may not be reviewed or considered. The application process will close when the position(s) have been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.