Public Works Environmental Services Specialist
Located at the Newington Solid Waste Collection complex.
Manages and coordinates 123 full time employees and 35 collection trucks in the safe performance of daily refuse and recycling collections for 43,000 county residences and multiple governmental facilities in conjunction with the complex manager, assistant superintendents and front line supervisors. Works with agency customer service group to facilitate resolutions for customer complaints. Responsible for providing day-to-day oversight and support for emergency operations during snow storms, floods or other disaster recovery operations. Ensures adequate supplies and availability of necessary equipment to effect safe, efficient, and high-quality operations in an environmentally-sound manner. Works closely with agency accounting, procurement and human resource staff to ensure compliance with applicable county policies. Monitors costs to ensure achievement of the complex's budgetary goals.
Performs other duties as assigned and acts for complex manager in his absence.
Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in environmental sciences, engineering, construction management, or a related field; plus two years of experience in an environmental, engineering or construction management program.
The preferred candidate possesses the following:
- Bachelor's degree.
- Five years of supervisory and management experience in the solid waste collection industry with a strong background in overseeing daily collection operations in a safe and responsible manner.
- Proven experience in maximizing collection route and operational efficiency. Experience in cost control and reduction.
- Fleet maintenance experience or experience following maintenance programs for waste collection equipment.
- Oversight of customer service & dispatch operations.
- Experience developing and implementing safety programs and policies. Experience in recycling collection programs.
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Outlook and Word, safety programs, and routing systems.
The following physical requirements are with or without reasonable accommodation:
Incumbent may be exposed to dangerous machinery, loud noises, extreme weather conditions, hazardous chemicals, odors, and infectious diseases. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds, stand, walk, climb, use hands to finger, handle, or keyboard, reach with hands and arms, stoop, and hear.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee of this position will be required to complete a criminal background check and CDL driving record screening to the satisfaction of the employer.
Fairfax County is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veteran's status or disabled veterans' status.