NOC Mid-Level Engineer
3 days left
- Full Time
The University of Maryland Network Operation Center (NOC) is responsible for monitoring and managing the network. This position is necessary to monitor, detect, analyze, trouble-shoot and resolve network outages. This position will also report issues and follow escalation procedures for both internal and vendor escalations. This is a globally accessible, high availability, fast paced and business critical 24×7 environment.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
At least 7 years of progressively responsible networking experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of and skill in the use of network management systems and tools (CA Spectrum, HP Openview, Cisco Prime, Solar Winds, etc.).
- Working knowledge of network testing equipment, and familiarity with wiring, including fiber optics.
- Familiarity with wireless protocols and standards, authentication methods, protocols and standards, network security
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills as well as some level of project management.
- Ability and willingness to work different shifts between the hours of 7am and 10pm with future coverage increasing to 24×7. On-call network support may be required. Additional time may be required as needed or directed by management.
- Ability to travel, possibly overnight, to any customer area, which could be any University of Maryland facility or to a remote site for disaster recovery or training.
- Ability to carry or transport hardware/software up to 30 lbs, to climb stairs/ladder, work in parts of the building/facility which house the wiring infrastructure to review, test or implement computer products/services, and must be able to implement hardware.
- Bachelor’s degree in telecommunications or computer science.
- Network operations experience.
- Familiarity with some or all of the following: switched Ethernet, LAN switches (Cisco), wireless Controllers and Access Points (Cisco), firewalls (Cisco, Palo Alto), VoIP (Cisco, Avaya),network routers (Cisco, Juniper, Big Switch), DHCP & DNS (Infoblox), VPN(Cisco), Packet shapers (Procera), WAN technologies, remote troubleshooting, network protocols, network diagnostic tools, and the OSI model.
- Ability to demonstrate a strong knowledge of and support for a predominately Cisco network environment.
- Experience with QOS is a plus.
Additional certification: Working toward or obtained networking certifications is a plus (CCNA/CCNP, MCSE).
Additional information: The salary range for this position is $73,280 – $91,600
This position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Physical demands: Ability to carry or transport hardware/software up to 30 lbs, to climb stairs/ladder, work in parts of the building/facility which house the wiring infrastructure to review, test or implement computer products/services, and must be able to implement hardware.
Best consideration date: 02/27/2019 or open until filled
Please, apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/67404