IT Support Engineer III
Information Technology Support Engineer III
The City of Alexandria's Department of Information Technology Services (ITS) is seeking an Information Technology Support Engineer III that will primarily provide technical support services for the City's Emergency Operations Center. In addition, the incumbent will provide advanced Help Desk support for City staff that includes the Fire Department and Department of Emergency Communications. He or she will provide technical assistance to City employees experiencing computer hardware or software problems. They will review and modify the administrative processes and procedures for automation purposes including the design and maintenance of the City workspace and mobile computing initiatives, and production of various reports and analyses. Guidelines used by the incumbents are in the form of acceptable information management technology practices, Administrative Regulations, ITS standards and practices, and department procedures and policies. This position is responsible for configuring, installing and maintaining City endpoints, including building and deploying standardized computer software images, and reports to the ITS Service Desk Manager.
- Ensure Emergency Operations Center software and hardware systems are inventoried, secured, maintained and available for emergency events and City-wide training, this includes periodic readiness tests at set intervals;
- Evaluate Emergency Operations Center software and hardware systems for upgrades, monitor warranty status, and coordinate repairs as well as plan for eventual replacement;
- Coordinate on-site support and provide training on a complex integrated command center audio visual solution and serve as the primary contact for vendor management and system maintenance;
- Utilize and configure enterprise endpoint management tools for operating system deployment, patch management, application deployment, and reporting;
- With ITS Security guidance, continually review and improve system hardening configurations;
- Review and develop log-based alerting for events of interest and root-cause analysis and resolution;
- Develop detailed technical and security endpoint documentation and recommendations to solve and mitigate complex issues and underlying problems;
- Research hardware, operating systems and applications and correcting endpoint deficiencies with senior level network and application engineers;
- Document processes and procedures through knowledgebase articles, online collaboration tools, and presentations;
- Create, route, and resolve Help Desk-level incident requests primarily for Emergency Management Operations, Fire Department and Department of Emergency Communications staff; and,
- Performing other duties as assigned.
About the Department
The Information Technology Services (ITS) Department is responsible for enterprise technology operations for the City of Alexandria. ITS provides technology services and solutions to City departments to enhance service delivery and aligns its work with City needs by providing leadership, resources, expertise, and products that enable departments to better serve the City's residents, businesses, and visitors. All resources support initiatives funded through the multi-year Information Technology Capital Improvement Plan (IT/CIP) to improve the overall technology landscape. The City of Alexandria's ITS Department has been a Top Ten National Finalist in the Digital Cities Award program for the past 13 consecutive years.