WATER/SEWER/STREETS TECHNICIAN IV (CONTROL CENTER)
Arlington County's Department of Environmental Services (DES), a highly valued, innovative organization that takes pride in providing its customers with outstanding services currently has a vacancy for a customer service oriented trades worker to perform as a Water/Sewer/Streets (WSS) Technician in the Control Center of the Water/Sewer/Streets Bureau. The Bureau is responsible for the construction, maintenance, installation, meter reading and repair of the County's street maintenance and the water distribution system.
To learn more about water and utility services provided click here.
Specific duties include:
- Responding to citizen/service phone calls and online requests regarding water, sewer, and streets concerns such as water main breaks, sewer issues, no water, low water pressure, discolored water, potholes etc.;
- Communicating with citizens on site, making inquiries to assess the nature of the call and dispatching proper crews to road service or standby personnel to investigate citizen concerns and to perform necessary repairs;
- Monitoring the SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) system to manage the County's water distribution system;
- Monitoring pump stations for security and proper operations;
- Locating and inspecting residential meters;
- Supporting Water/Sewer/Streets crews by obtaining Miss Utility clearances for emergencies;
- Supporting the operations and maintenance teams by creating and retrieving service requests and work orders using a computerized maintenance management system (CMMS); and
- Performing stocking/maintenance of emergency vehicles, barricade delivery and set up, and emergency street repairs such as filling small pot holes when there are hazardous conditions.
Arlington County offers a competitive salary and a great benefits package including a Defined Benefit (pension) plan. For more information on Arlington's family friendly benefits click here. Selection Criteria
Minimum: High School Diploma or the equivalent and two years of experience in trades areas that may include, but are not limited to: construction, installation, maintenance, meter reading and repair functions in water, sewer and streets operations; and/or construction, maintenance, and system operations in the water distribution area, or closely related environment.
Substitution: Additional experience can substitute for the education on a year for year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with a Class V Waterworks license, certification(s) in First Aid, or Confined Space Entry, and/or experience in one or more of the following:
- Providing customer service to internal and external customers for a public/private utility company or for service requests by telephone;
- Responding to requests, assessing nature of the problem and dispatching service requests in a trades or utility based environment;
- Repairing water distribution systems or related area; and/or
- Using a computer maintenance management system (CMMS).
The applicant must possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license from place of residence and authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
Employee must obtain a Class V Waterworks License prior to completion of probationary period.
Ability to obtain additional work-related certification(s) such as First Aid and/or Confined Space Entry during employment.
Work Hours: Generally 40 hours a week, includes weekends. Employees must be available for call-back in all types of emergency situations, i.e., water main break, snow removal, etc. Employees will be subject to occasional shift rotation, assigned based on the needs of the department:
Shift A: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Shift B: 4:00 p.m. to 12 a.m. midnight
Shift C: 12 a.m. midnight to 8 a.m.
Shift premium is paid for all days worked on shifts B and C.
Please complete each section of the application. A resume may be attached, however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. In order to receive full credit for your experience, please ensure that you have included details of all relevant work experience on your application and have completed the Supplemental Questionnaire in its entirety.