Arlington County's Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) is seeking a Facility Manager to be responsible for overall leadership, management and supervision of the Thomas Jefferson Community and Fitness Center. The Facility Manager is responsible for the on-site and overall day-to-day management and operation of the community and fitness center. The employee supervises two permanent Assistant Facility Managers in addition to the temporary facility assistants that work at this location. The manager schedules the staff assigned to the facility and is directly accountable for ensuring that the highest levels of customer service are being applied. This position is also responsible for developing center management goals and objectives; establishing systems, structures, and strategies to ensure interdependence and shared management practices with other facility managers.
The design of DPR centers and their program mix embodies our agency's goal to be vital to the enrichment of Arlington as a vibrant and enjoyable community and support Arlington's vision to be the happiest, healthiest place to live, learn, work and play.
Specific duties include:
- Developing and organizing work programs, schedules and assignments;
- Providing opportunities and leadership for staff development;
- Monitoring and measuring service effectiveness and efficiencies;
- Providing technical expertise in the review of staff work;
- Evaluating and implementing new technologies and innovations as they relate to center operations;
- Collaborating with the APS Facility Manager regarding custodial, maintenance and facility use for DPR and APS programs and specials events; and
- Providing training, monitoring and setting standards for facility/front desk and indoor and outdoor operations while supporting marketing efforts and monitoring the facility budget.
About the Community Center
The Thomas Jefferson Community and Fitness Center is the largest of five joint-use community centers and resides alongside an Arlington Public Schools (APS) facility-Thomas Jefferson Middle School. The center will provide services managed by DPR and APS which includes a large gym with an indoor track that supports multiple courts and an auxiliary gym, fitness room to include a free-weight room and houses DPR personal training program space; an arts studio; woodshop; large multipurpose room, game room, locker rooms and sauna; and stock room. The Center's primary purpose is the provision of a full range of recreation and leisure programs and services for an urban and diverse community of all ages. For more information click here Selection Criteria
Minimum: Bachelor's Degree in Recreation, Sports Management; Facilities and Fitness Operations/Management, Physical Education, or related field; plus, two years of experience managing and/or administering recreation programs and activities in a large, urban community/multi-service based recreation center.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis. A Master's degree in a directly related field may substitute for one year of the required experience.
Desirable: Preference may be given to applicants with one or more of the following:
- Experience in collaborative management of facilities and/or centers;
- Training and/or experience in mediation, negotiation and/or facilitation;
- Experience monitoring budgets;
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite; and/or
- Experience utilizing RecTrac (Recreation Facility Management Software).
Applicants must possess valid CPR, First Aid, and AED certification prior to the first day of hire.
Applicant must possess, or obtain by time of appointment, and maintain throughout the course of employment a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence. The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
Work hours: Vary between 5:30 a.m. and 10:00 p.m., Monday-Sunday seasonally depending on scheduling needs; many evening and weekend hours should be expected.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the application process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.