The Department of Environmental Services is seeking an experienced Design Engineer to work within their Engineering Bureau which provides full-scale, in-house surveying, design, and construction management services for public works capital improvement projects. This employee will be responsible for completing in-house design from concept planning to final design, and will work with consultants who perform design on select projects for multimodal transportation and/or associated stormwater drainage projects. The projects are complex, with competing interests and range from $100,000 to $5 million in overall costs and the work is performed in a constrained urban environment.
The Design Engineer at the senior-level is expected to perform the specific duties listed below completely independently. The journey-level Engineer is expected to perform the specific duties listed below with limited guidance from their supervisor. The junior-level Engineer is expected to perform the specific duties listed below with significant guidance from their supervisor.
Specific duties include:
- Participating in project scoping and preparing concept plans;
- Developing designs using Autodesk Civil3D software and creating construction plans for all aspects of public works projects;
- Developing construction specifications and special conditions documents;
- Coordinating with County, State, and Federal regulatory agencies and obtaining stormwater and land use permits;
- Determining property acquisition and easement needs and providing required or supporting information to surveyors and real estate specialists;
- Preparing construction cost estimates and managing procurement and bidding of projects;
- Providing technical support during construction and responding to Requests for Information;
- Reviewing the work of outside consultants who provide design services on selected projects;
- Using various modeling software in the design and analysis of civil engineering systems and components; and
- Presenting projects for in-house review or to citizen's groups.
Minimum (Senior Engineer Level): A Bachelor's degree in Engineering plus significant experience in the design of public works capital improvement projects using Autodesk Civil3D or similar CAD software in the areas of site planning, street design, storm water management, sanitary sewer design, water distribution or related areas.
Minimum (Journey Engineer Level): A Bachelor's degree in Engineering plus some experience in the design of public works capital improvement projects under the supervision of a Professional Engineer using Autodesk Civil3D or similar CAD software in the areas of site planning, street design, storm water management, sanitary sewer design, water distribution or related areas.
Minimum (Junior Engineer Level): A Bachelor's degree in Engineering plus experience using Autodesk Civil3D or similar CAD software.
Substitution: Experience may not be substituted for the Engineering Degree requirement. A Master's Degree in Civil Engineering may be substituted for one year of Engineering experience.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Experience designing urban street rehabilitation projects;
- Experience preparing construction contract documents;
- Experience conducting presentations to stakeholders including citizens and/or government officials; and/or
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
This position will require travel around Arlington County for various meetings and field inspections. Applicant must possess, or obtain by time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence, or be willing to use alternative means of transportation. The applicant must provide or authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon favorable review of the applicants driving record.Additional Information
Work Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., flexibility discussed upon hire.
This position is part of a broadband, competency based pay plan which encompasses a variety of responsibility levels from junior (Engineer I) through senior (Engineer V) and for which the overall annual salary range is $56,243.20 - $111,758.40. Individuals appointed to positions in this pay plan will be appointed at a salary based on their experience and training and the nature of the work assigned. Within pay guidelines, pay plan participants are eligible for variable salary increases based on performance, growth in responsibilities, and employee development on a yearly basis.
Employees that are registered as a Professional Engineer will be eligible for an additional pay premium of $2,600 annually.
Each section of the application must be completed. A resume may be attached; however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
NOTE: This position is listed as "open continuous." Interested applicants are advised to submit their applications as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed and qualified applicants referred on a continuous basis. Interviews will be conducted on a regular basis throughout the recruitment with candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. If your application is received later in the recruitment process, it may not be reviewed or considered. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.