ACCOUNTING TECHNICIAN II
The Aging and Disability Services Division (ADSD) is hiring a paraprofessional to join the Management and Budget Administration Team as an Accounting Technician. ADSD provides a comprehensive array of services to older adults, adults with mental health needs, and those with developmental disabilities. The ADSD Management and Budget Administration Team is responsible for the leadership, oversight, and overall management of the Aging and Disability Services Division which promotes effective, efficient, and compliant program services while overseeing the financial management, grants management, procurement, and contract management for all of ADSD.
The Accounting Technician will collaborate with staff to ensure that ADSD procures, maintains, and utilizes program resources to their fullest potential. This position will be responsible for providing paraprofessional accounting services including documentation of accounts payables/receivables, journal entries, requisitions, purchase orders, and supporting services that organize, standardize, and support operational functions of ADSD.
Specific duties include:
- Performing monthly reconciliation of general ledger accounts, and ensuring proper charging by reviewing potential error sources and reconstructing related transactions to determine cause;
- Creating requisitions, purchase orders, payment vouchers, quick checks, and reimbursements using the County's Oracle-based Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system;
- Preparing journal vouchers to post account revenues or expenditures and adjustment entries to correct errors or to balance accounts/pay records, and adjusting as necessary;
- Ordering all office, medical, and operating supplies for the division, and liaising with vendors, other agencies, and departments on supply ordering;
- Serving as the primary point of contact for all ADSD Xerox managed devices and inventory management for ADSD devices, including printers, copiers, and fax machines; and
- Providing customer service to the public by providing back-up coverage for ADSD front desk reception, greeting customers, responding to general questions, responding to routine and non-routine public inquiries, and directing customers to appropriate DHS programs.
Arlington County DHS is committed to delivering client services in an effective, equitable, respectful, and trauma-informed manner. Our staff is dedicated to ensuring our clients are approached, engaged and cared for in ways that demonstrate competency, sensitivity and awareness of factors which impact the client experience including but not limited to: cultural identity, gender, racial, and ethnic diversity, religious/spiritual ascription, physical capability, cognitive and literacy levels, sexual orientation, and linguistic needs.Selection Criteria
Minimum: High school diploma or GED, and three years experience performing accounting or budget support work.
Substitution: Education may be substituted by additional directly related experience on a year for year basis. Successful completion of college coursework from an accredited college or university may be substituted for the experience requirement on the following basis: 2 years = six months of experience; 4 years = one year of experience.
Specific accounting-related coursework (including accounting principles and cost accounting) at the college level may be substituted for up to one year of experience on the following basis: six (6) hours equals six (6) months; twelve (12) hours equals one (1) year of experience.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with experience in one or more of the following:
- Accounting and finance experience in human services programs;
- Financial management in local, state and/or federal programs;
- Using MS Office for the preparation or maintenance of fiscal tracking documentation, spreadsheets, databases, presentations, reports or other documents; and/or
- Working with Oracle e-business, other budget software.
A pre-hire background check will be made on all candidates who are selected for employment. It may include checks of the following: criminal record, driving record, education, professional licensure, and credit history. You may be required to sign a release authorizing the County to obtain your background information.
Selected candidates must complete pre-hire federal background check and State of Virginia Central Registry Check.
An assessment of Microsoft Office Excel proficiency will be required before a candidate can be appointed to the position.
Work hours: From 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, with occasional evening and weekends as needed.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process. Please do not enter "see resume" as a response to the questions. Each section of the application must be completed. A resume may be attached; however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.