7 days left
- Full Time
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
GS-12 Specialized experience includes: one or more years of equivalent to the GS-11 writing and editing reports on safety issues and and/or technical documents to communicate information to various audiences; participation in a major project such as a hearing, symposium, research experiment; and knowledge of transportation accident investigations; and preparing the layout of material for publication by using desktop publishing software to develop the overall design of materials.
GS-11 Specialized Experience: includes one or more years of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 writing and editing reports on safety issues and and/or technical documents to communicate information to various audiences; and preparing the layout of material for publication by using desktop publishing software to develop the overall design of materials.
Education: Master's or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree which includes a total of 15 semester hours in engineering, and at least one course above the introductory level in engineering and technical writing. For technical manuals and specifications writers or editors, the equivalent of 15 semester hours may have been gained through vocational or educational training above the high school level at a public, private, or Armed Forces school.
Combination of Education and Experience: A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. To compute the percentage of the requirements, divide your total months of experience by 12. Then divide the total number of completed graduate semester hours (or equivalent) beyond the first year (total semester hours minus 36) by 18. Add the two percentages.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations e.g., professional; philanthropic, religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies; knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. A variety of work life amenities are offered such as alternate work schedules, telework, flextime, fitness benefits and transit benefits.
- Moving expenses associated with permanent change of station (PCS) are not authorized for this position.
- If you left Federal Employment and received a buy out and you are selected for this position, you may be required to repay the full amount of the payment.
- Multiple and subsequent vacancies may be filled from this announcement.
- If you are an eligible Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) applicant you may apply for special selection over other candidates for this position. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 90 or above on the rating criteria for this position. ICTAP eligibles must submit one of the following as proof of eligibility for the special selection priority: a separation notice; a "Notice of Personnel Action" (SF-50) documenting separation; an agency certification that you cannot be placed after injury compensation has been terminated; an OPM notification that your disability annuity has been terminated; OR a Military Department or National Guard Bureau notification that you are retired under 5 U.S.C. 8337(h) or 8456.
- Veterans who served on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces and were separated under honorable conditions may be eligible for veterans' preference. Veterans' preference does not apply to positions in the Senior Executive Service or to internal agency actions such as a reassignment or promotion. When claiming preference, veterans must provide a copy of their DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or other acceptable documentation. Applicants claiming 10 point preference will need to submit Form SF-15, Application for 10-point Veterans' Preference. If you have questions about the applicability of veterans' preference for a particular vacancy please contact the agency posting the announcement. To learn more about veterans' preference, special veteran appointing authorities, and other veteran related topics, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov.
- All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Additional information on the qualification requirements is outlined in the OPM Qualifications Standards Handbook of General Schedule Positions. It is available for your review in our office, in other Federal agency personnel offices, and on OPM's web site at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications .
- Telework may be authorized on a case-by-case basis.
- The National Transportation Safety Board provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the National Transportation Safety Board directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applicants will be rated using the Category Rating System. Your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses to the Screening Questions/Occupational Questionnaire for consistency. Applicants must first meet any mandatory education/licensure/certification requirements before experience is evaluated. Failure to meet any mandatory requirement as outlined in the qualifications section will disqualify you from further consideration. Based on the extent and quality of your experience, education, and training in relation to these competencies, you will be placed into one of the following three categories:
- Highly Qualified - Applicants with a background that demonstrates a superior level of possession of all competencies.·
- Well Qualified - Applicants with a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of possession of the competencies.·
- Qualified - Applicants possessing the specialized experience described above and any education or selective factor if also required.
We will review your resume and supporting documentation to determine your eligibility and qualifications. If mandatory education/licensure/certification requirements are met, your application will be further evaluated based on training, experience and other factors critical to successful job performance such as:
- Planning and Evaluating
- Writing Skills
- Technology Application
- Oral Communication