Deputy Director Plans
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.
A. MANDATORY TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS: A supplemental statement must be submitted separately addressing each TQ. TQs must provide specific examples that address relevant experience and accomplishments. Applicants should focus on recent experience, education, and training, as some Recruitment Panel and Executive Resources Board members may consider experience that's over 10 years old to be outdated. Applicants must reflect superior technical qualifications demonstrated through leadership and management in the following:
(1) Proven senior level experience in strategic planning processes to include theories, principles, and practices of air and space power strategy and how they apply to joint warfighting and national defense strategy.
(2) Demonstrated executive level experience in integrated planning activities across inter-departmental, cross-functional relationships within large organizations, to include developing and implementing effective teaming concepts and relationships that support an overall capabilities-based planning system.
(3) Extensive knowledge, experience, and awareness in the resource allocation processes to include formulation, direction, integration and amendment of long-range, strategic planning, programming, and budgeting processes such as development and execution of long-range plans and programs spanning 20 years and the assessment of results.
B. MANDATORY EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS (ECQs): The ECQs describe the leadership skills needed to succeed as an SES; they also reinforce the concept of an "SES corporate culture." Submit a supplemental statement of the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs listed below) in the challenge/context/action/result (C-C-A-R) model format as provided by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Guide to SES Qualifications. Applicants should focus on recent experience, education, and training, as some Recruitment Panel, Executive Resources Board, and or OPM Quality Review Board reviewers may consider experience that's over 10 years old to be stale. (OPM's guidance in the Guide to Senior Executive Service Qualifications (Appendix B)). Refer to the OPM Guide to SES Qualifications for specific information and guidance on the ECQ requirements, the C-C-A-R model, and examples of good qualifications statements at the website: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/senior-executive-service/reference-materials/guidetosesquals_2012.pdf
ECQ 1 - LEADING CHANGE. This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
ECQ 2 - LEADING PEOPLE. This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
ECQ 3 - RESULTS DRIVEN. This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems and calculating risks.
ECQ 4 - BUSINESS ACUMEN. This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial and information resources strategically.
ECQ 5 - BUILDING COALITIONS. This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
In addition, DoD requires an Enterprise Perspective. The individual must possess a broad point of view and an awareness and understanding of individual or organizational responsibilities in relation to DoD or government-wide strategic priorities. Executives should demonstrate ability to work with internal and external partners to support national security objectives. This perspective is typically gained through a variety of diverse work experiences. A separate narrative statement is not required--this information should be embedded within the application package (Resume, Technical Qualifications and Executive Core Qualifications).
C. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS: The following will be used to help rate and rank eligible candidates:
(1) A complementary assignment in another career area, such as plans and programs, financial management, contracting, program management or logistics management is highly desirable. Breadth of experience in multiple organizations and at multiple levels, to include Headquarters level experience at the MAJCOM level or above, plus assignments at two or more centers (at least two installations) or equivalent is highly desirable.
(2) A master's or advanced degree in international affairs, national security or other advanced degree in related field is highly desired.
(3) Completion of Senior Developmental Education and/or equivalent executive development such as Leadership in a Democratic Society, Senior Executive Fellows, National Security Management, Leadership Assessment & Feedback Seminar, Executive Business Management, and/or two equivalent-level executive courses from other colleges, universities, or agencies.
There is no education requirement for this position.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
Tax Law Impact for PCS: On 22-Dec-2017, Public Law 115-97 - the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 suspended qualified moving expense deductions along with the exclusion for employer reimbursements and payments of moving expenses effective 01-Jan-2018 for tax years 2018 through 2025. The law made taxable certain reimbursements and other payments, including driving mileage, airfare and lodging expenses, en-route travel to the new duty station, and temporary storage of those items. The Federal Travel Regulation Bulletin (FTR) 18-05 issued by General Services Administration (GSA) has authorized agencies to use the Withholding Tax Allowance (WTA) and Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA) to pay for "substantially all" of the increased tax liability resulting from the "2018 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" for certain eligible individuals. For additional information on WTA/RITA allowances and eligibilities, please visit: https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/FTR%20Bulletin%2018_05%20Relocation%20Allowances_0.pdf
Mobility: Organizational and geographical mobility is essential in developing and managing SES and DISES leaders and generally is a key to advancement. Therefore, mobility is a condition of employment and appointed SES and DISES members will be required to sign a Reassignment Rights and Obligation Agreement.
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information, click here.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applications will be evaluated against the qualifications requirements. Failure to meet any one of the Mandatory, Technical or Executive Core Qualifications standards will eliminate a candidate from further consideration. Candidates will be evaluated for this position by a screening panel composed of a diverse mix of senior executives and/or general officers selected for organizational and/or functional backgrounds relevant to this position. The panel discusses each application and reaches consensus as to the Best Qualified, Qualified or Not Qualified candidates. Only the Best Qualified candidates will be interviewed. The panel will then make a recommendation of those Best Qualified candidates who should be referred to the selecting official, in priority order. Final selection is contingent upon the Air Force Executive Resources Board, Under SecAF, and OPM approval.Read more Security clearance Top Secret Drug test required Yes