Information Technology Specialist II
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
George Mason University, Information Technology Services (ITS) - located on the Fairfax, Va., campusâ€”invites applications for two Network Engineer positions within the Enterprise Infrastructure Services (EIS) Network and Security Operations team. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
- Respond to trouble tickets
- Troubleshooting data networking problems
- Install, configure, and maintain network services, equipment and devices.
- Plans and supports network and computing infrastructure.
- Documents network problems and resolution for future reference.
- Monitors system performance and implements performance tuning.
- Systems: Windows, Mac, Cisco, Nortel, Enterasys, Linux.
- Networking: Switches, Routers, Servers, Cables, Racks, Firewalls, LAN, WAN, TCP/IP, DNS, UDP, Latency, VoIP, QoS, BGP, OSPF, MPLS
- Knowledge of data networking, telecommunications and transmission technologies including network architectures, topologies, protocols and interfaces;
- Knowledge of Ethernet and Switches, VLANs, Telecom cabling, Wireless Access Points, and common network devices;
- Knowledge of network architecture, network devices, and general knowledge of network security;
- Knowledge of TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol,) Microsoft Networking, and other network protocols;
- Knowledge of TCP/UDP and application layer protocols;
- Knowledge of different types of network security devices, deign/roles, and configuration/deployment;
- Ability to work with switches and wireless access points, including configuration setup from beginning to end;
- Demonstrated hands-on experience with a broad range of information technology, including data networking;
- Microsoft operating systems, Internet and Intranet applications, common office software such as Microsoft Office suite;
- Must have a current, valid driverâ€™s license in order to operate university owned vehicles and are required to complete a Motor Vehicle Report;
- Must have the physical ability to safely and independently lift up to 50 lbs.; and
- Ability to work weekends, and after hours as required by project workloads or to perform specific tasks.
- Extensive, successful experience interacting with both co-workers and customers.
- Knowledge of design and operation of Broadband/Video/Voice devices and test equipment.
- Ability to identify and remedy network security problems using both GUI (Graphical User Interface) and CLI (Command-line Interface) environment from multiple vendors.
- Ability to diagnose data communications problems with wired and wireless networks and assess impact of new voice/data applications on network performance using specialized tools, test equipment, and software utilities.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
George Mason University is a great place to work where employees are given an opportunity to develop skills and expand horizons. We have tuition waivers; telecommuting (typically one day a week) and flextime schedules; facilities that will meet your physical fitness needs; and the campus environment is dynamic and ethnically and culturally diverse.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position 01149z at https://jobs.gmu.edu; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three (3)professional references. References must include name, email address and phone number.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date : 2019-02-26