Temporary Urban Planner II
Temporary Urban Planner II
If you are ready for your next career move to a public sector agency that is progressive and strategic in the way we approach business, manage people and serve our citizens, The City of Alexandria is the place for you. The Department of Planning and Zoning is seeking a qualified applicant for the position of Urban Planner II. Alexandria is a dynamic and diverse planning environment located within the core of the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. The City has a progressive government and informed residents. The position offers an opportunity to work on a newly created team focused on planning and implementation of public facilities, including schools, within the City.
An Temporary Urban Planner II performs professional planning work primarily but not limited to small area plan development, community outreach, research and analysis, development review, and interdisciplinary and intergovernmental coordination.
What You Should Bring
This Temporary Urban Planner II position is located within the Neighborhood Planning and Community Development (NPCD) Division of the Department of Planning and Zoning. It is exclusively for a highly-responsible and organized planner with outstanding analytical, design, planning and communication skills. You must have a strong knowledge of the principles and practices of urban planning, and understanding of urban design, economics, and real estate development as related to planning. Outstanding candidates will have excellent graphics, GIS, and plan review skills.
- Collaborating as part of a multi-disciplinary team on long range planning projects involving extensive public participation to facilitate solutions for complex neighborhood issues;
- Reviewing development projects for consistency with the master plan;
- Producing graphics and maps for presentations, plans and staff reports, transforming complex issues into concise and easy to understand concepts for community groups, property owners, and appointed and elected officials;
- Assisting with community outreach and engagement;
- Assisting with implementation of long-range planning initiatives;
- Coordinating with other divisions within the Department; and all applicable agencies and Departments;
About the Department
The Department of Planning and Zoning works closely with the community in each area of the City to carry out City Council's Strategic Plan for vibrant, amenity-rich neighborhoods, protected historic resources, and vital local businesses. With the community as our partner in developing neighborhood plans and reviewing proposals for development projects and businesses, we continue to deliver on the Vision we have developed together.