Marina Assistant Dockmaster
Marina Assistant Dock Master
The City of Alexandria is located in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington, and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter of the City's square miles have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for a Marina Assistant Dock Master position.
The Marina Assistant Dock Master participates with the Dock Master in supervising boating operations at the City Marina. The work of this class involves providing guidance and assistance to subordinate members of the Dock Master's staff who assist boaters in obtaining boating services and sharing operational duties with the Dock Master in the operation and maintenance of boating facilities on the Alexandria waterfront. The work is performed under direct supervision of the Dock Master.
What Should You Bring
Each member of our team is accountable for exceptional delivery of services to the community. You will ensure that all Marina activities are fun, safe and orderly. To best serve in in this position, you should have good organizational skills and have a general knowledge of computers. You must also demonstrate an ability to work effectively in a group setting and be able to provide exceptional customer service. The incumbent will work a schedule including Monday through Friday from 9 p.m. to 9 p.m. and weekends from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. as needed.
- Oversees and provides for the responsible management of financial information and dock records, and is responsible for oversight of the collection, deposit, and tracking of all fees (contract payments, annual lease fees, reservations, daily and hourly);
- Assists Dock Master in hiring, training, supervising, motivating, and evaluating Marina staff;
- Provides for an efficient, pleasant office operation;
- Solicits recommendations from employees, boat owners, commercial users and pedestrian visitors;
- Interprets and implements and establishes where needed Marina rules, regulations, policies, and procedures related to day-to-day operations and the long- and short-term goals and objectives of the Department and strategic plan for the City within the purview of City ordinances and codes;
- Oversees and implements pleasure boat leases, commercial vessel contracts and maintenance contracts;
- Perform operational functions such as responding to inquiries, responding to customer service inquiries, and record keeping;
- Oversees the daily coordination of vessel berthing assignments, including scheduling and prioritization of berthing and placement in accordance with customer requirements, seasonal needs, lease agreements, marina traffic, operating plans, and other related documents to insure the most efficient use of marina dock facilities;
- Corresponds with supervisors, co-workers and citizens in a positive and professional manner;
- Participates in staff meetings, in-service trainings, sessions, and workshops;
- Performs related work as required.
About the Department
The mission of Recreation, Parks & Cultural Activities is to enrich the City of Alexandria by creating meaningful experiences through public space, cultural activities and programming. The City of Alexandria Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities received national accreditation from the Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies (CAPRA). National accreditation requires park and recreation agencies to meet 155 standards representing elements of effective and efficient park and recreation operations.