Communications & Web Development Paid Summer Intern - American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG)
The American Society of Human Genetics, founded in 1948, is the primary professional membership organization for human genetics specialists worldwide. The Society’s nearly 8,000 members include researchers, academicians, clinicians, laboratory practice professionals, genetic counselors, nurses, and others who have a special interest in the field of human genetics. Our members work in a wide range of settings, including universities, hospitals, institutes, and medical and research laboratories. Our staff of about 20 works to support the needs of our members and the human genetics field to advance research, policy, and education. The ASHG Annual Meeting is the world’s largest scientific meeting dedicated to advancing human genetics, drawing more than 9,000 attendees and hosting more than 230 exhibiting companies in 2018.
This is a paid internship (between 20 and 37.5 hours/week). The internship is located in Rockville, Maryland, accessible to several bus routes and a 15-minute walk from the White Flint Metro Station. The start date is June 3, 2019 and the end date will be August 30, 2019 (start and end dates are flexible).
As an intern, you’ll actively participate in ASHG’s website redesign – a technical and content-related endeavor that will help the Society more effectively share information, benefit and educate its members, and convey the exciting potential of human genetics research to the public. You will also be involved in other aspects of ASHG communication and marketing related to its Annual Meeting, educational programs, and policy/advocacy opportunities. A general overview of tasks and responsibilities is below. Actual assignments will depend on the candidate and organizational needs at the time of the internship.
Essential Duties and Tasks
- Prepares web content for migration to the new website, including creation of new pages, formatting, and pasting into the new content management system.
- Helps evaluate, revise, and develop web content. Participates in discussions and efforts related to where and how content should be deployed, keeping in mind navigation, web writing, and content tagging.
- Participates in meetings with coworkers and collaborates with team members to achieve learning goals.
- Performs various administrative duties, including responding to routine questions and requests for information, preparing task lists and tracking task completion, and coordinating content review and approvals.
Skills & Qualifications
- Interest in science, genetics, and genomics.
- Interest in web writing and communications.
- Familiarity with basic HTML. WordPress and PhotoShop experience a plus.
- Ability to work effectively both individually and in a team.
- High degree of professionalism with strong organizing skills and attention to detail.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and strong internet research skills.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and a cover letter describing relevant experience and interests to Nalini Padmanabhan, Director of Communications and Marketing, by email at email@example.com or through www.faseb.org/employment. Please include two references, with phone and email contact details.
ASHG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.