Summer Meetings Paid Internship - American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG)
The American Society of Human Genetics, founded in 1948, is the primary professional membership organization for human genetics specialists worldwide. The Society’s nearly 8,000 members include researchers, academicians, clinicians, laboratory practice professionals, genetic counselors, nurses and others who have a special interest in the field of human genetics. Our members work in a wide range of settings, including universities, hospitals, institutes, and medical and research laboratories. Our staff of about 20 works to support the needs of our members and the human genetics field to advance research, policy and education. The ASHG Annual Meeting is the world’s largest scientific meeting dedicated to advancing human genetics and drew more than 9,000 attendees in 2019 and hosted more than 230 exhibiting companies. To learn more about ASHG, please visit www.ashg.org
This is a paid internship (between 25 to 37.5 hours/week). The internship is located in Rockville, Maryland. The start date is May 20, 2019 and the end date will be August 31, 2019 (flexibility on dates). As an intern, you’ll actively participate in the planning and communication related to preparing for the ASHG Annual Meeting in October – a great chance to learn about and play a role with a highly successful, innovative and efficient meeting strategy and management operation. You will play an important role in preparations for the annual meeting, from registration to housing to onsite logistics, and also gain exposure to other unique activities in an association environment such as membership, policy and public education. A general overview of tasks and responsibilities is below. Actual assignments depend on the candidate and our needs at the time of the internship.
Essential Duties and Tasks
- Performs various administrative duties including but not limited to: preparing for the meeting, proofing and editing correspondence related to the meeting; coordinating mailings; responding to routine questions and requests for information, assisting the exhibits manager on logistics and communication.
- Assists in collection and creation of materials for the meeting and other Society functions at the meeting.
- Prepares staff materials and emails for the meeting, including pre-convention packets, travel coordination, and other administrative tasks
- Assists registrar with all general registration processes as needed.
- Helps coordinate packing and shipping of conference materials.
- Participates in department meetings with coworkers.
- Collaborates with team members to achieve learning goals.
Skills & Qualifications
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- High degree of professionalism with strong organizing skills.
- Interest in learning about hospitality, association/nonprofit management, meeting management.
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work effectively both individually and in a team.
- Knowledge of meetings and event industry helpful.
How to Apply
Submit Resumes and Cover Letters to Pauline Minhinnett by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or through www.faseb.org/employment. Please include references with your submission.
ASHG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.