1 day left
- Full Time
The AVID Tutor will work with small groups of middle and high school students during the Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) elective course under the supervision of the AVID teacher. Tutors must attend training in order to utilize the AVID learning strategies while tutoring up to four days per week, approximately 15-28 hours per week, based on program needs and tutor availability. The Tutor will be assigned a primary core content area (such as mathematics; science; social studies; and/or English) to work with students during the school year. College students are encouraged to apply. All tutors must be available to participate in sixteen hours of training throughout the year beginning in September. Priority will be granted to those who can meet the hours necessary to support the elective classroom.
- Attends or attended a post-secondary institution maintaining at least a 2.5 GPA.
- Possesses a strong mathematics or English background, preferred but not required.
- Possesses excellent communication, leadership and organizational skills Initiates action, is a self-starter, and knows about general college entrance processes.
- Is available approximately 15-28 hours per week on a consistent basis from October-May during the school day.
- Available to attend tutor training for approximately 16 hours throughout the year in face to face and/or through blended learning model.
- Assists students in their learning by facilitating content-related tutorial groups using a tutorial learning process and other AVID strategies.
- Collaborates with middle school and/or high school faculty and other tutors to support and build the AVID system.
- Communicate with tutor team and teacher in an effort to expand academic, behavior, and college and career efficacy and knowledge.
- Assists students in maintaining their AVID binders (with calendar, assignment sheets, Tutorial Request Forms, and daily focused note-taking/Cornell Notes) in all academic classes.
- Participate in AVID field trips and motivational activities (when possible) and willingness to lead academic review activities that contribute to overall student success.
- Performs other duties as assigned by AVID elective teacher or site coordinator.