The Reading Specialist facilitates student success in academic and interpersonal skills through academic courses of study and by implementing district approved curriculum, documenting teaching and student progress/activities/outcomes; addresses specific needs of students; provides a safe and optimal learning environment; and provides feedback to students, parents and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc. This job reports to the Principal.
- Education: Bachelor's degree; Master's degree preferred.
- Certificates & Licenses: Valid Virginia Department of Education License or ability to obtain one with an endorsement as a Reading Specialist.
- Experience: Job related within specialized field with increasing levels of responsibility is required.
- Adapts classroom work for the purpose of providing students with instructional materials that address individualized learning plans within established lesson plans.
- Administers developmental testing programs, subject specific assessments, etc. for the purpose of assessing student competency levels and/or developing individual learning plans.
- Advises parents and/or legal guardians of student progress for the purpose of communicating expectations; student's achievements; developing methods for improvement and/or reinforcing classroom goals in the home environment.
- Assesses student progress towards objectives, expectations, and/or goals for the purpose of providing feedback to students, parents and administration.
- Collaborates with instructional staff, other school personnel, parents and a variety of community resources for the purpose of improving the overall quality of student outcomes, achieving established classroom objectives in support of the school improvement plan.
- Coordinates a variety of activities (e.g. field trips, transportation, lesson plans, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of equipment, materials and personnel to achieve objectives.
- Counsels students for the purpose of improving performance, health status, problem solving techniques and a variety of personal issues.
- Demonstrates methods required to perform classroom and/or subject specific assignments for the purpose of providing an effective program that addresses individual student requirements.
- Directs assistant teachers, student teachers, instructional assistants, volunteers and/or student workers for the purpose of providing an effective classroom program and addressing the needs of individual students. Implements academic, behavior, health and nutrition plans (e.g. literacy activities, stories, songs, math/science activities, art, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements, established guidelines, and performance standards and encouraging parent involvement.
- Instructs students for the purpose of improving their success in academic, interpersonal and daily living skills through a defined course of study.
- Manages student behavior for the purpose of providing a safe and optimal learning environment.
- Models conversation, manners, cleanup activities, listening skills, etc. for the purpose of demonstrating appropriate social and interpersonal behavior.
- Monitors students in a variety of educational environments (e.g. classroom, playground, field trips, nap times, etc.) for the purpose of providing a safe and positive learning environment.
- Organizes age appropriate indoor and outdoor activities for the purpose of ensuring student participation in learning activities.
- Participates in a variety of meetings for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions.
- Prepares a variety of written materials (e.g. grades, attendance, anecdotal records, etc.) for the purpose of documenting student progress and meeting mandated requirements.
- Reports incidents (e.g. fights, suspected child abuse, suspected substance abuse, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining personal safety of students, providing a positive learning environment and adhering to Education Code and school policies.
- Responds to emergency situations for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns and/or directing to appropriate personnel for resolution.
- Responds to inquiries from a variety of sources (e.g. other teachers, parents, administrators, etc.) for the purpose of resolving issues, providing information and/or direction.
- Supports classroom teachers for the purpose of assisting them in the implementation of established curriculum and/or individual student plans.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
- May perform other additional duties or tasks as designated by supervisor.