Special Education Teacher - Autism/Intellectual Disabilities
1 day left
- Full Time
The Special Education Teacher of learners with ASD provides an optimal learning environment for learners who require the specialized teaching and supports designed for autism spectrum disorders to increase the academic, behavioral, communication and social skills of the learners on their caseload. Special education teachers in this position develop and implement district approved curriculum, document student progress through daily and weekly data collection make data-based decisions about the effectiveness of teaching and behavioral strategies. Special education teachers in this positionto address students' specific needs through multiple and diverse academic and behavioral supports or strategies and providing feedback to students, parents and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc. This position reports to the Principal.
- Education: Bachelor's degree; Master's degree preferred.
- Certificates & Licenses: Valid Virginia Department of Education license, or eligibility to obtain one.
- Experience: Experience and/or additional certification or training in the direct instruction of students with autism spectrum disorders.
- Compensation: This position qualifies for an additional step placement on the Licensed Salary Scale under the umbrella of Specialized Instruction.
- Key Competencies:
- Skill and ability to incorporate recommendations from ancillary support personnel for individual student needs in the classroom.
- Knowledge of child development, the impact of characteristics of ASD on development and learning with special emphasis on language, communication and cognitive development.
- Ability to develop and implement individualized instructional and behavior plans and behavioral management techniques.
- Ability to effectively facilitate support staff with the implementation of individualized student goals in the classroom
- Ability to work with other professionals in a collaborative manner.
- Formal training or certification in ABA is highly desired (BCBA supervision may be provided).
- Specialized experience for this position includes experience working with learners with autism spectrum disorders in an educational environment; conducting formal and informal assessments using curriculum-based tools or progress monitoring measures; collecting data for academic, behavioral, communication and social skills and graphically displaying data; developing individualized reinforcement systems for a variety of learners and supporting learners in inclusive educational environments for the purpose of generalizing skills across settings.
- Adapts general education curriculum or implement alternative reading/math programs to provide students with instructional materials to meet their educational needs.
- Instructs students to improve their success in academic, communication, interpersonal and daily living skills through a defined course of study.
- Collaborates with instructional staff, related service providers, other school personnel, families and a variety of community agencies to improve the overall quality of student outcomes and achieve established classroom objectives and IEP goals.
- Assesses student progress towards objectives, expectations, and/or goals (e.g. behavioral, social, motor development and communication skills, academic needs, vocational abilities, etc.) using consistent data collection to provide feedback to students, families and administration.
- Implements instruction in communication and social skill development at the instructional level of the students to enhance peer relationships and collaborative participation in the general education classroom.
- Manages student behavior to provide a safe and optimal learning environment using the principles of positive reinforcement and consistent implementation of behavioral techniques.
- Instructs students in a variety of educational environments (e.g. classroom, playground, field trips, etc.) to enhance skill development across a variety of settings.
- Supervises and instruct paraprofessionals in the instructional and data collection methods required and provide the materials to complete the tasks assigned to paraprofessionals.
- Participates in a variety of meetings to convey and/or gather information required to perform expected job duties.
- Prepares a variety of written materials (e.g. Individual Education Programs, progress reports, grades, attendance, etc.) to document student progress and meet mandated requirements.
- Supports general education teachers to assist them in the planning and implementation of accommodations or modifications to meet mandates of individual education programs.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, to ensure the efficient and effective functioning of the educational environment.