Assistant Director of Procurement
- Full Time
The Assistant Director serves as an integral part of the Procurement Team, assisting in supporting and overseeing the Department, including the management and oversight of Procurement policies, processes and staff. They also share responsibility for the management and support of the Department's various internal and external stakeholders, customers, contractors and vendors.
This position reports to the Director II - Procurement and General Services.
- Education: Bachelor's degree required. Master's Degree preferred.
- Certifications & Licenses: Virginia Contracting Officer (VCO) desirable, or Virginia Contracting Associate (VCA), or Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB) or the ability to obtain one within two years of hire required. A Valid Virginia Driver's license is also required.
- Experience: Business, procurement, acquisition, or contracting background (e.g. public buyer, contract administrator, or procurement lead) preferred. Previous experience working with K-12 or local government (buyer or seller's side) required. Experience managing people, multiple workloads, and the ability to prioritize is a must.
- Key Competencies:
- Strong knowledge of public procurement (VPPA) regulations and federal laws.
- Proficient with MS Office products and MS Word redlining features.
- Exceptional internal and external customer service skills.
- Strong written, oral and individual or group presentation skills.
- Strong strategic thinking and problem solving skills
- Proficiency in the MUNIS Financial System highly desirable
- Construction contract experience (or the ability to learn) highly desirable
- Manage all aspects of the Purchasing process, including construction, professional services, term contracts and service agreements
- Ownership of the procurement (RFP/Bid) process from pre-acquisition strategy through contract award
- Award, administer and manage contracts in accordance with School Board Policy and ACPS' Procurement Manual
- Oversee and manage the workload and procurement functions of the Senior Buyer, Buyer, and Contracts Specialist, while being responsible for the execution and management of your individual workload
- Oversee the procurement of Professional and Construction Services and more complex procurements, as assigned
- Confer with departments to determine purchasing needs. Support vendor qualifications, cost price analysis, and contract negotiations
- Develop and maintain the Procurement Department's terms and conditions and templates
- Attend and manage Pre-Bid and Pre-Proposal Conferences
- Assist the Director with monitoring the budget; participate in the development of the department budget
- Attend closed session School Board sessions, when needed, to discuss matters of contracts
- Assist in the selection, training, and evaluation of Procurement staff
- Assist and train Procurement staff and ACPS decentralized users on procurement policies and procedures