Anticipated Athletic Trainer
The Certified Athletic Trainer (ATC) is responsible for coordinating and administering a comprehensive health care program for all student athletes.
The Certified Athletic Trainer is responsible for immediate care of injured athletes. The Certified Athletic Trainer implements techniques and strategies to encourage the prevention of athletic injuries and illnesses and provides for recognition, evaluation, management, and rehabilitation of injuries to student athletes. The Certified Athletic Trainer advises coaches and coordinates the efforts of doctors, athletes, and parents. The Certified Athletic Trainer ensures that players participate only when capable and that physicians' instructions are understood and followed.
* Develops a plan for emergency health care of injured athletes; provides evaluation and treatment to injured athletes; initiates and processes all injury reports; maintains first aid supplies and ensures that they are in their proper location for use; renders on-site decisions, in the absence of a physician, on the playing status of a player; counsels the coaches when an athlete may participate in practice or games following injury or illness; counsels athletes in seeking proper medical assistance for follow-up care; maintains accurate medical records for all athletes, to include, but not limited to, athletic physicals, treatments rendered, physician referrals and recommendations, etc; advises coaches and coordinates the efforts of doctors, athletes, and parents; establishes injury prevention practices
* Supervises the athletic training room; attends athletic practices and games; assists staff in selection and fitting of equipment
* Conducts in-service programs for the coaching staff in the care and prevention of athletic injuries
* Ensures current CPR and First Aid certification of all coaches through class instruction when necessary
* Assists administrators, coaches, and game officials in decisions regarding playing surface and atmospheric conditions relating to player safety
* Performs related work as required
* Must be certified by the National Athletic Trainer Association and maintain that association's standards
* Must be licensed by the Virginia Board of Medicine as an Athletic Trainer or be eligible for licensure
* Must be able to communicate effectively with students, parents, administrators, and medical personnel to ensure that proper methods are used in prevention and treatment of injuries
* Must be a Certified First Aid/CPR Instructor, or willing to complete the certification upon hiring
The Certified Athletic Trainer is directly responsible to the building Principal or designee.