Maintenance Mechanic I
Under close supervision of the Supervisor, Mechanical Maintenance or a senior maintenance mechanic, performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled tasks in the installation, preventive maintenance, emergency repair and operation of water supply facilities consisting of pumping stations, storage tanks and their sites; and portions of the transmission and distribution system.
Performs maintenance work at various Fairfax Water equipment, facilities, and grounds.
Performs semi-skilled and occasionally skilled maintenance tasks in the installation, maintenance, repair and operation of water supply facilities by:
- Assisting higher-level maintenance mechanics with rebuilding or replacing all types of pumps and equipment and performing predictive and preventive mechanical maintenance to include such work as lubricating, inspecting, and servicing mechanical equipment in accordance with predictive preventive maintenance schedules.
- Assisting in the inspection, repair, rebuilding or replacing of a variety of pressure regulating and control devices to include: pressure reducing, relief, sustaining, air release, flow control, altitude, butterfly and ball valves.
- Maintaining Fairfax Water facilities, grounds, equipment, and office buildings by:
- Assisting with cosmetic and structural maintenance repair, rebuilding or replacing of all types of facilities to include such work as: painting, roofing, welding, floor upkeep, plumbing installation and repair, door and lock replacement, pipe cleaning, dry wall repair, concrete forming and finishing and clean up.
- Performing ground maintenance work such as clean up, mowing grass, landscaping, trimming bushes, and removing trees, leaves, and snow.
- Assisting with the maintenance and repair of a variety of equipment including minor vehicle maintenance, lawn equipment, tractors, chain saws, gas pumps, gas generators, welding equipment, vacuums, and other equipment.
- Keeping maintenance vehicles, work areas and tools clean and orderly.
- Operating a variety of tools and equipment to include: pressure gauges, gasoline pumps, oxygen meters, wire wheel grinders, air compressors, needle guns, field welders, push and riding mowers, weed and hedge trimmers, air blowers, leaf vacuums, snow plows, concrete mixers and other power tools.
- Maintains records of work required, performed, materials used and costs using an Enterprise Resource Planning program.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Graduation from high school or GED and a minimum of one year mechanical experience in:
- Pump maintenance and repair;
- Control valve maintenance and repair;
- Small engine repair;
- HVAC installation, maintenance and repair;
- Automotive engine and mechanical systems maintenance and repair; or
- A one-year certificate in a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math discipline or any equivalent combination of education, experience and knowledge.
- Has used tools and equipment used in building, grounds and mechanical maintenance.
- Has basic computer knowledge and skills, and the ability to use SAP and GIS programs.
- Has performed mechanical tasks following oral and written instructions.
- Has established and maintained effective working relationships with co-workers and supervisors.
- Ability to work unscheduled hours during emergency and/or unusual situations (24 hours/7 days a week).
- Ability to work at locations other than the position’s primary duty station.
- Ability to operate grounds maintenance equipment.
- Possession of a valid driver's license and good driving record.
- Possession of or ability to obtain a Commercial Driver’s license within one year.
- Must pass a respiratory physical for respirator and self-contained breathing apparatus use and a respiratory fit test. Must maintain personal grooming standards for effective use of the breathing equipment.
- Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test for employment. This position is also subject to random testing after hire.
- Ability to learn and demonstrate skilled mechanical tasks, including all tasks included in this job description, as a means of increasing knowledge of the mechanical trade and developing the necessary skills required for advancement.
- Climb ladders, steps, and scaffolding.
- Perform manual physical work which may include long periods of standing, bending, twisting, stooping and climbing.
- Work in confined spaces.
- Climb and work at heights greater than 100 feet.
- Lift objects weighing up to 94 pounds.
- Wear a respirator.
Fairfax Water offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package. Applications must be received by March 3, 2019.
A Drug-Free Workplace