Information Technology Specialist (Security)
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Applicants must meet all the required qualification requirements, including education, and any selective placement factors described below by the closing date of this announcement.
If you are qualifying based on education OR if there are mandatory education requirements listed below, you MUST submit a copy of your college transcript with your application.
NOTE: Applicants must meet time-in-grade and time after competitive appointment requirements, by the closing date of this announcement.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Federal applicants must have served 52 weeks at the next lower grade to satisfy time-in-grade restrictions, per 5CFR 300, Subpart F.
Applicants applying for the GS-13 grade level must meet the following requirements:
Have IT-related experience demonstrating EACH of the four competencies AND specialized experience listed below:
- Attention to Detail - Incumbent provides sound recommendations for mitigating, improvements or updates to computer security policies, and is meticulous in the applications of crucial technical specifications and requirements as they relate to security.
2. Customer Service - Incumbent demonstrates a high level of ability to serve customers by advising and counseling managers or other officials to accept and implement findings and recommendations on remediation of malicious code and explain how it operates and affects individuals workstations, servers and network.
3. Oral Communication - Incumbent demonstrates a high level of skill in communicating orally ensuring that systems, networks, and data users of all levels of technical sophistication and all levels of management and personnel are aware of, understand, and adhere to system security policies and procedures and best practices.
4. Problem Solving - Incumbent clearly demonstrates the ability to solve and prioritize problem.
Have at least 1 full year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 level in the Federal service which provided you with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the position. Qualifying specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
-Experience providing technical guidance and advising management and other technical specialists on critical IT security issues.
-Experience reviewing proposed new IT systems, networks, and software designs for potential security risks and recommending mitigation and/or countermeasures to management.
-Experience documenting and assessing government IT systems adherence to policies and guidance and making recommendations to resolve security related issues.
-Experience ensuring the integration of security into IT programs and services, application developments, and that systems security management meets current and future needs.
NOTE: In order to qualify for this position, your experience MUST be IT related; the experience may be demonstrated by paid or unpaid experience and/or completion of specific, intensive training (for example, IT certification), as appropriate.
There is no substitute of education for specialized experience for the GS-13 position.
See the qualifications section of this vacancy announcement for education requirements, if applicable.
For reasonable accommodation at the U.S. Department of State, please contact the Office of Accessibility and Accommodations at (202) 663-3474 or ReasonableAccommodations@state.gov.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following knowledge, skills, abilities (KSAs) and other characteristics that are relevant to the duties of this position and must be fully supported by information in your resume:
1. Knowledge of IT systems and/or telecommunications networks.
2. Ability to develop, interpret, and apply policies governing information technology throughout the agency.
3. Knowledge of information technology specialty areas (e.g. application systems design, database management, computer equipment, software and systems.
4. Ability to make decisions based on information from a wide variety of sources.
5. Ability to apply program management principles, methods, and practices.
Your resume serves as the basis for qualification determinations and must highlight your most relevant and significant work experience and education (if applicable) as it relates to this job opportunity. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Your resume should include the dates of all qualifying experience (from month/year to month/year) and the number of hours worked/volunteered per week. For assistance with creating a resume, please click
Qualified candidates are assigned a score between 70 and 100. Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) candidates must be rated "Well Qualified" for the position and earn a score of at least 85 (when applicants are rated in a range of 70 to 100) to receive consideration for special priority.
If, after reviewing your resume and self-assessment questionnaire responses and a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, a score will be manually determined that reflects your documented experience. This may result in a lower score, which may also eliminate you from consideration for this position.
Applicants must meet all the qualification requirements and submit any required supporting documentation by the closing date of this job opportunity. Your application package must contain sufficient information to make a valid determination that you fully meet the basic/specialized experience requirements as stated in this job opportunity announcement for each grade level(s) for which you are applying. Applicants found to be among the top qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring official for further consideration and possible interview.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Sensitive Compartmented Information Drug test required No