Senior Software Engineer (2 opportunities) - School of Foreign Service (SFS)
6 days left
- Full Time
Senior Software Engineer (several opportunities) - School of Foreign Service (SFS)
The Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service (SFS), founded in 1919, is a premier school of international affairs. At Georgetown's Washington, D.C., and Qatar campuses, SFS provides a rigorous education grounded in both theory and practice while instilling the Jesuit values of service.
The Center for Security and Emerging Technology (CSET) is focused on studying the security impacts of emerging technologies, supporting academic work in security and technology studies, and delivering nonpartisan analysis to technologists and policymakers. Initial focus will be on artificial intelligence and advanced computing.
The Senior Software Engineer, reporting to the Center's Director of Data Science and Research, and will be responsible for:
- Creating and maintaining an optimal data pipeline architecture.
- Identifying, designing, and implementing impactful improvements to the data warehouse infrastructure.
- Building data pipeline infrastructure for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) of data using SQL and cloud-based databases (e.g., Snowflake, Redshift, BigQuery, Microsoft SQL Server).
- Collaborating with data scientists, research analysts, and research fellows to understand data needs, identify interesting engineering projects, and provide technical evaluation and recommendations.
- Collecting and synthesizing project requirements, creating effective project roadmaps, and shipping high-quality products.
- Mapping out engineering resource needs and helping to establish an engineering culture and best practices.
- Managing engineering projects in a highly collaborative environment and drive project delivery within established scope and estimated timelines.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related area - Master's degree preferred (work experience can be substituted);
- 6+ years of relevant coding experience
- Experience with a scripting language such as Python or PHP
- Experience with a systems language such as Java, C++, or Go
- 5+ years of experience in building and optimizing data pipelines or related experience
- Advanced SQL knowledge and experience working with relational/non-relational databases, query authoring and excellent troubleshooting skills
- Experience with cloud services platforms such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), or Microsoft Azure
- Strong analytical skills in working with large and unstructured datasets
- Ability to carry on assigned tasks with limited need for supervision
- Excellent problem solving skills and critical thinking skills
- Motivated, enthusiastic and self-driven
- 8+ years of relevant coding experience
- Experience working with cloud-based data warehouses and using big-data technologies like Spark/Hadoop, Kafka, and distributed databases
- Experience interfacing with and building API interfaces (e.g., RESTFul APIs)
- Experience implementing machine learning algorithms in a production setting
- Experience working with multilingual data and developing software applications in multiple human languages
Application requires both a cover letter and a resume. We request that the cover letter address the following question:
Why are you applying to this position?
- In particular, why are you interested in supporting emerging technology policy analysis with your software engineering skills?
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or email@example.com.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.