Election Officer Training Coordinator - Administrative Assistant IV
Ensures all election officers are adequately trained on voting equipment (Poll Pad electronic poll books and DS200 digital ballot scanners) and all election procedures as determined by Virginia Election Law. Develops content for various training sessions, including for new election officers, returning election officers, and chief election officers. Creates and organizes supplemental training materials. Hires and manages team of up to 20 seasonal staff as training facilitators. Sets the training schedule. Identifies and secures appropriate space to facilitate on-site and off-site classroom courses. Coordinates the movement and security of training equipment between venues. Travels to and assists at off-site training sessions. Routinely creates and shares reports tracking progress. Proactively assesses the efficacy of training programs and pursues continual improvements. Develops tools for online refresher training, including slideshows, training videos, discussion boards, and interactive e-lessons and games.
As a member of the Office of Elections staff, participates in other activities related to election administration and voter registration on an as-needed basis. A flexible schedule is required before, during, and immediately after election day, to include working extended hours during evening classes and to support special projects or address issues as they arise. Must be able to work some evenings and weekends.
The assigned functional areas are in communication, office management, general executive assistance, information systems/software, or personnel. Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list.)
Knowledge and understanding of the programs or activities of the unit served, as well as of the county and departmental administrative guides;
Position may require knowledge of basic principles and methods of a technical or professional field.
- Basic math skills.
- Intermediate skills in use of applicable Microsoft Office Word.
- Intermediate skills in the use of applicable Microsoft Office Suite software;
- Intermediate skills in the use of agency specific software applications.
- Ability to communicate well through written and oral means.
- Ability to gather, integrate, and analyze simple data.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with both external and internal contacts.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to high school graduation and three years of experience providing administrative support in the assigned functional area(s).
CERTIFICATES & LICENSES
Must have a valid driver's license.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check and a driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
- Experience in an elections office and with the elections process.
- Experience developing, delivering, and managing training programs.
- Previous experience in supervising seasonal employees is preferred.
- Excellent organizational and coordination skills
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills (especially Word, Excel, Outlook) to develop reports and spreadsheets
- Ability to develop strategic and contingency plans for training activities
- Ability to work extensive overtime during and after each election
- Bachelor's degree in areas related to government or political science
Work is generally sedentary, performed in a normal office environment. Duties require ability oversee and assist, to lift, move, and assemble election kits, supplies, and equipment. Position also requires ability to work extensive overtime hours under stressful conditions during election cycles. Physical requirements can be performed with or without accommodations.
Panel interview. As part of the interview process an exercise may be administered.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.