Senior Tax Associate
Please list all professional experience and explain any gaps in employment history.
The Washington Post is seeking a dynamic and self-motivated Senior Tax Associate interested in collaborating with the Tax Director in building a modern and forward-looking Tax Department.
The purchase of The Washington Post by Amazon founder, Jeff Bezos, has propelled the company into the elite set of US digital publishers. Along with the robust investment and record-breaking growth in digital revenue, traffic, and subscriptions comes the responsibility of accurately and timely complying with increasing tax reporting requirements. This is a great opportunity to expand your knowledge to different areas of domestic tax. You will be collaborating with the Tax Director on building and managing effective domestic tax compliance processes.
A successful candidate is an experienced tax professional with domestic income tax compliance expertise who is also interested in learning about indirect tax types that a business is responsible for (sales tax, use tax, property tax, other miscellaneous tax types). You are comfortable with frequently changing priorities and prioritizing competing deadlines. You are skilled at identifying potential tax issues and developing a resolution plan with minimum supervision. You are known for your ability to be well organized when facing multiple priorities under tight deadline. You have proven ability in recommending and guiding the implementation of new and/or improved compliance processes, as well as developing recommendations and advising internal clients on specific tax inquiries. You collaborate and build effective working relationships with Tax team members and other teams within the organization.
- You are a tax professional with 2+ years of US and state income tax compliance background (partnership preferred but not required) looking to expand your tax knowledge to other domestic taxes applicable to a US business (sales and use tax, property taxes, other applicable taxes).
- You have no problem with changing priorities. As the business is changing, new tax research and compliance needs arise and require timely input from the Tax Department.
- You have a proven track record of contributing on simultaneous projects.
- You constantly reengineer your day-to-day processes to increase speed, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- You are proficient in Excel and look for opportunities to automate manual processes.
- You are obsessed with quality, self-review, and excellent customer service. You are comfortable with asking questions and having conversations across the organization.
- You are exceptionally organized and thorough, yet capable of moving quickly, managing several projects at the same time and meeting deadlines.
- You take ownership of your projects.
- Maintain compliance of all domestic tax-related issues including in-house preparation of Federal and state income tax returns (about 50% of the job responsibilities), Federal excise tax returns, property tax returns, local business license tax returns, state registration filings, preparing reports and calculations for sales/excise/occupation tax compliance.
- Overseeing outsourced sales tax compliance which includes providing necessary reports, reconciling filings to the GL and third-party reports, auditing filings, and carrying out other tasks necessary to ensure compliance and proper record keeping.
- Collaborate with the purchasing department on modernizing use tax accrual process.
- Maintain domestic tax calendar.
- Automate and simplify manual tax processes.
- Monitor income and sales tax nexus creating activities to timely identify new filing obligations.
- Monitor domestic tax news for items impacting Company's operations.
- Monitor tax department budget.
- Compute quarterly estimated payments and nonresident withholding payments.
- Review and validate tax depreciation (produced by fixed asset software, BNA).
- Review purchases for use tax accrual.
- Respond to notices and inquiries for tax authorities.
- Timely respond to inquiries from other business units.
- Partner with Tax Director for new initiatives.
- 4+ years of relevant tax compliance experience.
- Bachelor's in Accounting (Master's in Tax preferred) from an accredited college/university.
- Advanced Excel skills (ability to work with large data sets, create apportionment and other calculation schedules, automate and simplify processes via advanced Excel capabilities, etc.)
- OneSource or GoSystem is a plus, but not required.
- BNA Fixed Assets is a plus, but not required.
- Natural curiosity to learn.
- Demonstrated behaviors in problem-solving.
- Strong bias for process improvement.
- Able to work in a start-up type environment with varying structure and changing priorities.