Information Technology Specialist, GS-2210-12 (INFOSEC-NETWORK) (DIRECT HIRE)
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Relocation incentives may be available for this position.
THIS POSITION HAS A NATIONAL SECURITY DESIGNATION AND REQUIRES A TOP SECRET CLEARANCE WHICH INCLUDES DRUG TESTING.
You must meet all qualification requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills, and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. We will consider all qualifying experience, including any volunteer experience.
Basic Experience Requirements
You must possess IT related experience (paid or unpaid experience and/or completion of specific, intensive training (e.g., IT certification), as appropriate) demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below.
1. Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
2. Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (i.e., any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
3. Oral Communication - Expresses information (e.g., ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (e.g., technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
You may meet the minimum requirements for the GS-12 if you possess:
One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in federal service that has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position (see description below).
Specialized Experience for the GS-12
- Experience with IT system design and development expertise in implementing best practices for architecture and engineering services.
- Experience leading the design, planning, installation and maintenance of new systems, servers, storage and hardware.
- Experience ensuring the Department's infrastructure and architecture solutions comply with Federal and Department requirements, including cyber security requirements.
Three academic years of graduate education in computer science, information science, information systems management, mathematics, statistics, operations research, or engineering. OR
Three years of graduate education in a field that required the development or adaptation of computer programs and systems. The graduate coursework is equivalent to 3 years of graduate coursework in the computer field. OR A doctorate or equivalent degree in computer science, information science, information systems management, mathematics, statistics, operations research, or engineering. OR A doctorate or equivalent degree in a field that required the development or adaptation of computer programs and systems. The degree is equivalent to a doctorate in the computer field. OR
52 weeks of specialized experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been to the GS-9 level in the Federal government. Examples of such experience include: maintaining database management systems; monitoring computer security policies and procedures; helping users resolve problems with office automation products; testing software and system quality and functionality; and integrating hardware and software components. OR Completion of a percentage of the three-year graduate education requirement and a percentage of the one-year work specialized experience requirement that combined adds to 100%. To make this determination, first convert the amount of graduate education completed into a percentage. For example, completion of two-years of graduate courses in computer science meets 67% of the education requirement. Then convert the amount of specialized work experience into a percentage. For example, one-half year of specialized work experience requiring the development or adaptation of computer programs or systems, meets 50% of the work experience requirement. Then add the percentages together. If they equal 100% or more, this requirement is met.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
The quality of your experience will be measured by the extent to which you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). You do not need to provide separate narrative responses to these KSAs, as they will be measured by your responses to the occupational questionnaire (you may preview the occupational questionnaire by clicking the link at the end of the Evaluations section of this vacancy announcement).
- Ability to perform analyses of log files to identify possible threats to network security and coordinate with enterprise-wide cyber defense staff to validate network alerts.
- Ability to train and assist users to operate office IT equipment and resolve IT technical problems to meet customer's needs.
- Skill in performing contractor performance monitoring activities and setting metrics for achieving desired business outcomes.
- Ability to ensure asset and configuration management, including the identification of configuration items and baselines to include hardware, software, databases and documentation as well as repeatable processes and procedures that are in place for control, auditing and reporting of configuration items within an established repository.
- Skill in analyzing and developing the integration, testing, operations and maintenance of systems security.
Veterans’ Career Counseling: If you are a veteran interested in receiving tips on preparing a Federal resume and/or how to prepare for an interview, you may email Iwork@ed.gov to schedule a session with a career counselor (“Veterans Counseling Session” should be placed in the subject line of the email).
Student Loan Default: If selected for this position, we will verify that you have not defaulted on any loan funded or guaranteed by the U.S. Department of Education. If you are found to be in default, we will contact you to make arrangements for repayment prior to making an official offer of employment.
Suitability and Investigation: If selected for this position, you will be required to complete the Declaration for Federal Employment (OF-306) to determine your suitability for federal employment and successfully complete a pre-appointment investigation/background check.
Financial Disclosure: This position requires financial disclosure.
Telework: This position is telework eligible.
Selections: Agencies have broad authority under law to hire from any appropriate source of eligibles and may fill a vacancy in the competitive service by any method authorized. We may make additional selections from this vacancy announcement within 90 days from the date the selection certificates are issued, should vacancies occur. We may also share selection certificates amongst program offices across the agency.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We use a multi-step process to review and evaluate applicants:
Eligibility and Minimum Qualifications
Once the vacancy announcement closes, we will review your submitted resume and documents to determine if you meet the eligibility and minimum qualification requirements, including any required education, experience, and/or selective placement factors. You will be rated as ineligible if you do not meet U.S. Citizenship requirements or your application is missing any required documents. You will be rated as not qualified if you do not possess the minimum qualification requirements.
If you are found to meet both the eligibility and minimum qualification requirements, we will assess the quality of your experience and the extent to which you possess the required KSAs by comparing your submitted resume and documents against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. (The occupational questionnaire is the list of questions in the automated system that you will have an opportunity to answer once you apply for the position).
If your responses to the occupational questionnaire are not substantiated by your submitted resume, you may be eliminated from receiving further consideration.
If you are found to be a qualified applicant, you will be referred to the selecting official. As part of the assessment and selection process, the selecting official may invite you to participate in a structured interview, check your references, and/or request that you submit a writing sample or complete a written assessment or exercise to further evaluate your qualifications for this position.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Top Secret Drug test required Yes