Research Psychologist (Recent Graduate)
- Full Time
25% or less - Up to 25% business travel required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.
- Recent graduates who have completed, within the previous two years (or will complete no later than August 2019), a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution. Short-term training programs (e.g. several two-week programs completed) are not considered an academic course of study.
- Preference eligible veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation begin their two-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed six years after degree or certificate completion.
After Program completion, Department of the Army Recent Graduates MAY be converted to a permanent position or to a term position (a project-based term of employment lasting between one and four years).
To be eligible for conversion to a permanent or term position, Recent Graduates must:
- Be a U.S. Citizen
- Successfully complete all the requirements of the Recent Graduate Program as defined in the Agency Participant Agreement.
- Demonstrate successful job performance.
- Meet the Office of Personnel Management qualification standard including any applicable positive education requirements and/or selection placement factors and any other designated special qualifications requirements and conditions of employment (e.g. medical standards) appropriate for the position to which being converted.
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Basic Requirement for a Research Psychologist:
In addition to meeting the basic requirements above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Experience required: To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job.
Specialized experience is defined as: experience conducting research (e.g., hypothesis development, research design, data collection, statistical analysis of data, or report writing) in relevant areas of the behavioral and social sciences (e.g., personnel, training, leader development, human resources, and human relations). This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-11).
Education Substitution at the GS-12 : Successful completion of a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree (or will complete no later than August 2019) in a field which demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of the position, such as Psychology.
Combination of Education and Experience: If you have some, but not all, of the experience or education described above, you may still qualify by combining the amount of creditable experience and education that you possess. To compute the percentage, divide your total months of qualifying experience by 12. Then divide your semester hours of graduate education in excess of 36 hours (total semester hours minus 36) by 18. Add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal at least 100% to qualify.
In addition to meeting the above requirements, candidates must possess the following:Eligibility for a Pathways GS 12 Recent Graduate: Degree: Ph.D or equivalent degree directly related to the position (or will complete no later than August 2019).
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Education and Training
- Planning and Evaluating
- Program Management
- Statistical Analysis
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 16 - Scientist and Engineers (Non Construction) position.
- Recent Graduates must sign a Participant Agreement with the Agency.
- This position requires you to submit a Public Financial Disclosure Report (OGE 278) or a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE450) upon entry, and annually thereafter.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
The automated system will assign an initial rating to your application based on your responses to the online questionnaire. After the vacancy closes, your application may be quality reviewed by human resource professionals, federal managers, or subject-matter experts. Your initial rating may be adjusted during the quality review process. Your resume must support your responses to the self-assessment questions or your final rating may be adversely affected. The best-qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager and may be invited to an interview. Please ensure your resume provides enough detail to support your answers to the questionnaire.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
Best Qualified: Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
Highly Qualified: Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
Qualified: Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.