Deputy Fire Marshal II
Deputy Fire Marshal II
The City of Alexandria is located in Northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter of the City's square miles have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Deputy Fire Marshal II, position.
A Deputy Fire Marshal II performs advanced and detailed inspections and related work. An incumbent in this class conducts inspections of complex industrial and commercial facilities that are used in the storage and handling of hazardous materials. This work requires conducting advanced, in-depth inspections to ensure compliance with Federal, State and local regulations. Tasks are performed under the general supervision of a Chief Deputy Fire Marshal.
What You Should Bring
The Deputy Fire Marshal II will possess two years thorough knowledge of the theory, principles, practices and techniques relate to fire prevention, and fire investigations as outlined in NFPA 1031, 1033 and 921. Thorough knowledge of the content and application of local, state and national laws, codes and standards related to fire protection, and the storage and use of hazardous materials. Thorough knowledge of criminal laws and practices that related to the investigation of fire, explosive or hazardous materials incidents. Thorough knowledge of techniques utilized to investigate a fire, explosive or hazardous material event. The Deputy Fire Marshal II must possess the ability to take direction, understand and follow verbal and written orders and directives. Must be able to identify fire and life safety hazards, address dangerous conditions in buildings and the environment, and fairly enforce the Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention Code and related City Ordinances.
The Deputy Fire Marshal II must be able to provide depositions and expert testimony and represent the concerns of the Commonwealth of Virginia and the City of Alexandria in all courts. The Deputy Fire Marshal II must be able to work independently or as a member of a team during inspections and investigations. Must possess the ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing. Must possess the ability to perform physical requirements associated with emergency response and law enforcement activities, use a firearm and perform defensive tactics, employing restraint and proper discretion during highly stressful situations while adhering to law enforcement best practices and departmental policy. Must possess the ability to develop effective working relationships with co-workers, other members of the fire department, other city agencies, other law enforcement agencies and members of the general public.
Must be able to maintain accurate records and other documentation and accurately prepare incident reports and reports for fire code enforcement and investigative activities. Ability to convey information correctly and concisely both in writing and verbally, organize material and information for clarity and understanding, and verify that messages are received and interpreted correctly. Skill in handling multiple competing priorities within tight timelines; agility in addressing urgent matters.
Deliver innovative fire prevention solutions that meet code and regulatory requirements while providing the customer with reasonable and obtainable options. Must have interpersonal skills in working with a variety of individuals from diverse backgrounds.
Examples of Work
- Performs fire prevention inspections of residential, commercial and industrial buildings and structures; advises responsible parties of deficiencies found and correctional responsibilities; establishes follow-up and re-inspection procedures;
- Investigate fire hazard complaints; prepare reports and notices of deficiencies directed to owners;
- Evaluate structures for compliance with fire safety standards in the operation and maintenance of commercial and industrial establishments and in the storage and handling of hazardous materials such as compressed gases, flammable liquids, oxidizers, toxic and corrosives;
- Inspect and make fire safety recommendations for schools, hospitals, residential care facilities and other institutions; conduct various fire and life safety inspections and ensure compliance with all applicable codes and regulations for places of public assembly;
- Conduct fire safety inspections of weekend fairs or festivals, public fireworks display and/or special events;
- Investigates origin and cause of fires;
- Interview witnesses and suspects and conduct follow-up investigations including detection, apprehension and prosecution of arson suspects;
- Provide expert testimony in court for both criminal and civil cases;
- Prepare investigation summary reports and fire investigation statistics as required;
- Prepare extensive detailed written reports scientifically documenting the cause of fire in arson cases and submit case documentation to the City of Alexandria Commonwealths Attorney's Office; prepare reports for owners, fire department and other agencies;
- Advises and instructs owners and occupants of buildings in fire prevention methods in the removal of fire hazards, and makes recommendations for reducing potential hazards;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Working within AFD to schedule and respond to business owner and residents request for fire prevention inspections of businesses, schools and all other structures or processes regulated by applicable local, state and federal fire codes, regulations and ordinances. Identify fire code violations and hazards while working with the business owner and residents to abate the violation and/or hazard. Performs timely follow-up inspections to ensure compliance of applicable local, state and federal codes, regulations and ordinances to ensure compliance. The candidate will maintain assigned City vehicle and equipment and must have the ability to maintain all certifications incumbent with the position of a Deputy Fire Marshal II.
About the Department
"Dedicated to our Community, Our Profession and Each Other"
The Alexandria Fire Department provides fire, emergency medical services, and special operations such as technical rescue, hazardous materials and marine response operations with additional capabilities including fire prevention, inspections, protection and investigation to a 15 square mile city. The Alexandria Fire Department employs more than 290 personnel, which include firefighters, paramedics, fire prevention staff and administrative support. A network of ten stations protects 15 square miles. Among the department's specialized teams are the Northern Virginia Regional Hazardous Materials Team, Technical Rescue, Marine Operations and the Special Operations Team. The Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management is also a city-wide function within the Alexandria Fire Department.