WATER/SEWER/STREETS TECHNICIAN V (WATER MAINTENANCE)
6 days left
- Full Time
Are you interested in joining an innovative organization that is highly valued by customers and our partners? Are you an experienced trades worker who is passionate about personal growth, providing excellent customer service, and enjoy leveraging technology in your daily duties? If you answered "yes", this may be the right opportunity for you!
Arlington County's Department of Environmental Services (DES) is seeking an experienced technician with a combination of trades skills to support the Water Maintenance crews and perform senior level trades work related to the maintenance, replacement, repairs, and new installations of water mains, water service, water valves and fire hydrants.
DES is the vital link that continuously provides our customers with services that contribute to a healthy and sustainable quality of life within the County. This Water/Sewer/Streets (WSS) Technician V will work with other team members who take pride in collaborating and using innovation in seeking new ways to support our customers and better serve the community. One of the primary services we provide is to ensure emergencies are responded to in a timely manner. Database management and other software programs are used to complete daily tasks .
To learn more about the services DES provides, click here.
Specific duties include:
- Performing and coordinating with crew leader daily crew functions which include: replacing and repairing of water utilities, investigating water main leaks, determining trenching requirements and overseeing the excavation and installation of large water vaults;
- Performing excavations, repairs/installations, and compaction of soil and restoration of site (asphalt, concrete, seed and straw);
- Using investigative methods and specialized equipment to diagnose problems and/or to make repairs such as leak detection and other diagnostics necessary for repairs and system maintenance;
- Assisting in implementing policies and procedures, creating and prioritizing work flows using computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS) and Microsoft Office suite functions to complete logs, reports, and to close out work orders;
- Providing technical and operational guidance and on-site training to crew members, leading in absence of crew leader, and ensuring all safety requirements are met;
- Driving and operating light and/or heavy equipment to and from work sites, transporting materials and crew members; and
- Responding to routine questions and inquiries from the public or directing questions to appropriate supervisors or other responsible parties.
Note: This recruitment may be used to fill other comparable positions in the Department of Environmental Services, some of which may require additional certification and/or licensure within a specified timeframe.
Minimum: Graduation from high school, vocational school, or equivalent, and considerable experience related to the construction, maintenance and operation of water systems, water service installations, water valves and fire hydrant repairs, or water utility related experience. Possession of valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) required. Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Experience operating a backhoe, boom truck and/or pavement breaker;
- Experience leading a team or coordinating the work of others;
- Class V Water License;
- Confined Space Entry Level 2 certification; and/or
- Trenching Level 2 safety certification.
1) Applicant must possess a valid class "B" or "A" commercial driver's license.
2) The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record.
3) Applicants must provide written consent for Arlington County to obtain from previous employers information required by Department of Transportation (DOT) agency regulations concerning drug and alcohol testing information. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record and passing a pre-employment drug screening and alcohol breath test as required by applicable standards.
4) Prior to the time of appointment, the successful applicant must pass a pre-employment drug screening. Once hired, the employee will be subject to drug screening at such times during employment as required by federal, state, and local standards and regulations.
SAFETY Requires learning and following all safety rules and regulations pertaining to job functions which includes attending all required safety classes and meetings in order to ensure a safe working environment and to ensure team members are practicing the required safety rules and regulations.
Normal work hours are: 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Must be available for call back in emergency situations.
Work is generally performed outdoors and in all types of weather conditions and near moving traffic. Some work may be performed indoors depending upon the work assignment. The work environment includes exposure to draft, noise, dust, grease, and dirt with extended periods of standing, walking, bending, stooping, and lifting light to heavy objects and equipment weighing up to 50 lbs.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. In order to receive full credit for your experience, please ensure that you have included details of all relevant work experience on your application and have completed the Supplemental Questionnaire in its entirety. Incomplete applications will not be considered.