TREASURER'S OFFICE, ENFORCEMENT CASHIER (BILINGUAL ENGLISH/SPANISH)
The Arlington County Treasurer's Office is seeking a full-time Enforcement Cashier. This position reports directly to the Enforcement Supervisor in the Compliance Division and will share duties with another Enforcement Cashier operating the Compliance Cashier Window. The primary role of this employee will be to interact directly with the public, accepting payments on delinquent accounts, providing compassion in stressful situations, applying appropriate enforcement action when required, and ensuring a pleasant customer experience in an otherwise unpleasant situation, and to communicate with other County agencies. The Treasurer's Office provides services to an ethnically diverse population, some of whom may have limited English language skills.
Shared duties include:
- Operating a cashier window;
- Settling cash and balancing payments;
- Maintaining current knowledge of all tax types, agency debt, court debt, policy, procedure, and State code surrounding collection of debt;
- Meeting debtors and resolving issues; counseling when necessary and carrying out enforcement action;
- Utilizing various types of collection software, State databases, and parking ticket software;
- Distributing and responding to correspondence;
- Assisting Tax Relief recipients with the application process in-office and in-the-field;
- Carrying administrative duties and special projects as assigned.
Minimum: High school diploma or the equivalent, plus three years of cash handling and administrative support experience, preferably in programs similar to those in the Treasurer's Office. Proficient in speaking, writing and understanding English and Spanish.
- Experience using a multitude of software programs, including Microsoft Office Suite or similar software.
- Experience working directly with the public, explaining policies, regulations and/or tax regulations to customers.
An assessment of oral Spanish proficiency will be required before a candidate can be appointed to this bilingual position. The incumbent in the position will receive the language pay premium on all hours worked and on paid leave hours.
A pre-hire background check will be made on all candidates who are selected for employment. It may include checks of the following: criminal record, driving record, education, professional licensure, and credit history. You may be required to sign a release authorizing the County to obtain your background information.
Employee must complete a criminal background check and a Virginia Central Registry background check through the County's Human Resources Department.
Work hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Each section of the application must be completed. A resume may be attached; however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Completion of the Supplemental Questionnaire is a requirement of the application process. Do not respond with "see resume" to any question. Incomplete applications will not be considered.